Vol. 5 Chp. 3: Rules Of Nature

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

The dawn of the sports festival is shaping to be a long day. The entire student body marched in as one, wearing jerseys, just as rehearsed.

"I'll show off my good side to Kikyou-chan!" I heard Ike yell excitedly.

During the opening ceremony, the opening declaration was delivered by Fujimaki from Class A of their third year. On the outskirts of the school grounds, I noticed some scattered spectators, likely to be working adults on campus. The school doesn't seem to have imposed any restrictions on them, and I occasionally saw them smiling and waving their hands.

The students were closely monitored by the teachers, who didn't show any signs of amusement. Medical personnel were also present on site. A cottage, which could accommodate around 20 people, was set up and provided with a cooler and water dispenser. The preparations were impeccable, similar to those made for an uninhabited island. The Red Team and White Team, competing against each other, were given tents on opposite sides of the track as if sandwiching it between them.

"First years, Group 1, 100m boys dash. Please take your positions on the track. I repeat..."

It seems that they want to get started right away.

I patted Sudou on the back for good luck.

He made his way over to the track, standing right behind his lane, and started to do some light stretching before getting ready.

The race was about to begin...

The gun fired.

Sudoy lunged forward with incredible speed and timing, and from that moment, he won the race. Completely blowing past his competition, no one stood any chance of coming close to him as he quickly grabbed first place.

~Timeskip~

"First years, Group 4, 100m boys dash. Please take your positions on the track. I repeat..."

It's my turn to race.

I made my way to the track.

"Go, Kagu-kun!" I heard Ichihashi cheered.

"You can do this!"

"You better not lose!" Sudou yelled.

"Don't get caught up in the moment. I'll still beat you," Ike sprinted past me to get into his lane.

Well, at least he's optimistic...

I did some light stretching before stepping onto the track.

"So, you're the guy that princess talked about," a blonde-haired man said, smirking.

I don't know anyone by the name of Princess, but I'm going to ignore this young man.

"Not much of a talker," he said, "I don't know what she sees in you."

I don't have my notepad on me, and I don't know if he's sign language, so this conversation is useless to me.

I lowered myself as I waited for the sound of the gun.

Bang

I pushed myself forward, leaving all my opponents in the dust.

I quickly got first place.

"You're lucky I wasn't trying, Kagurazaka-kun. You want me taking all your fame," Ike said as he passed me.

Didn't you get last place?

"Way to go, Kagurazaka-kun," Sudou gave my back a massive slap.

A couple of races went by when it was Hirata's and Ayanokouji's turn to run.