Vol. 5 Chp. 6: Bitter Sweet

Silence...

It was as if everyone was mute for a couple of seconds after seeing the performance between Ayanokouji, Manabu, and Nagumo.

It didn't take long for the cheering to erupt from all the students.

~Timeskip~

A crowd of Class D students had gathered at our tent. Everyone was in shock and awe about our performance-namely, Ayanokouji.

"Kagu-kun," I didn't get a chance to turn around when I was tackled into a hug, "You did amazing!"

I wasn't bitter about Ayanokouji standing in the limelight. It allowed me to step out of it without being bothered by my classmates.

Ichihashi is an exception because she's weird like that.

"Ayanokouji!" Sudou yelled as he tightened his arm around Ayanokouji's neck, "I didn't know you were that fast! Have you been holding out on us?"

"You could say running is my specialty," Ayanokouji answered.

You should have gotten first place in the running events if it's your specialty.

"Well, it's time for this year's sports festival results!" A voice rang across all the speakers around the field.

Every student turned their attention to the electronic scoreboard. The words "Red Team" and "White Team" were displayed on the board. These were the points each team had acquired through all 13 events.

"Read Team wins" appeared on the board, along with each team's scores. It seems that despite the harsh competition, Class A and D came out on top.

Class D collectively held their breath. We constantly had mixed results throughout the festival.

1st place: 1st year, Class B

2nd place: 1st year, Class C

3rd place: 1st year, Class A

4th place: 1st year, Class D

Oh, come on!" Ike yelled in disappointment.

You can't win all of them.

Class A would lose 50 points, while our class would lose 100.

"Lastly, we will announce the MVP for each school year."

First-year MVP: Sudou Ken

"Yes!" Sudou cheered loudly.

Class D swarmed the young man as they realized his name was on the board. Sudou competed the most in our class while getting first place.

~Timeskip~

Horikita's POV

As soon as the sports festival ended, the students began to trickle out of the classroom, looking exhausted. With no club activities on the agenda, Sudou-kun lingered to chat with Ike and a few others until he finally left. Ayanokouji-kun, who sat next to me, quickly rose from his seat and appeared to be in a rush to depart.

Perhaps he became curious about me since I had yet to get up from my seat as he looked towards me.

"You're not going back yet?"

"Yes, you see... I have some business to care for".

"Even though you usually return early, this is rather unusual."

"Such things happen sometimes. Well then, that's enough for today".

"Yeah. I'll see you the day after tomorrow then".