Vol. 8 Chp. 1: Mixed Training Camp

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

On a Thursday morning after the start of the 3rd semester, multiple buses were spotted traveling on a highway. It was observed that not only the 1st-year students but also the 2nd and 3rd-year students were present on the buses. Therefore, it can be inferred that the entire school's student body was moving altogether.

We were officially the 1st years Class C.

The travel time is about 3 hours, so the students brought their favorite things within the allowed limits. These include cell phones, books, cards, snacks, and juice. Some students even brought gaming devices with them on the trip.

The person I was sitting by was Ichihashi, and she rested her head on my shoulder, sleeping peacefully. 

I was surprised she was sleeping through all the guys yelling. I could hear the girls occasionally warning the guys about their voices being annoying.

"Sorry about putting your fun short, but pipe down," Chabashira said, holding a handheld microphone, "I thought you all might like to know where this bus is going and what we'll do then."

I gently shook Ichihashi, and she groaned and grumbled, "Ten more minutes..."

I shook her again, causing her eyes to open, "Hmm?"

"Of course, we're curious about that. You won't tell me it's the uninhabited island again, are you?"

Receiving Ike's complaint, Chabashira answered, "Looks like what happened on the uninhabited island is hard to forget for you lot since it's sticking around in your memory. But calm yourselves. An exam of that scale isn't something that can be held frequently. It means we're not cruel enough to force you into that now that summer's over for you lot. However, as you may have already inferred, a new special exam will be held. Your living standards will be extremely high compared to the uninhabited island."

I was having a hard time believing that coming from someone like her.

"The special exam that will be demanded from you Class D students from now is!" She went that far, yet Chabashira stopped speaking.

At that moment, my classmates gave little, proud smiles.

Immediately afterward, Chabashira bowed in respect and apologized, "My apologies. You're already a student of 'Class C'. Since you've been promoted, I'll explain the details of the special exams to all of you."

The students who passed multiple special exams and reached Class C in the 3rd semester appeared to accept their situation calmly. They will receive an explanation on the bus, allowing them to prepare countermeasures. 

Although getting up from their seats while the bus is moving is forbidden, they can easily communicate. If they use their phones, they can only talk to one person at a time. Even Ike and his rowdy friends stopped talking to listen to what Chabashira had to say, showing that they had grown somewhat.

"From this point onwards, you will be taken to an outdoor school deep in a certain mountain. In all likelihood, we'll arrive at our destination before another hour passes. The shorter the explanation, the more of a 'grace period' you will have available."

"Isn't outdoor school something you attend in the summer?"

The mountains we can see from the highway are still covered in white snow.

A question came forth from Ike, who's an expert when it comes to mountains from his time as a boy scout.

"Can't you keep quiet and listen to me? I believe I've just told you about the 'grace period, '" Chabashira said more pleasantly than angrily.