Vol. 9 Chp. 3: New Rumors

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

The rumors about Ichinose were spreading rapidly, to the point that almost all the students in the school had heard about them. However, despite the rumors, Ichinose didn't seem concerned and hadn't reported anything to the school. She continued to go about her daily routine as if nothing had happened.

Despite being harassed with unpleasant rumors, Ichinose stood firm. And as she expected, eventually, students began to speak in support of her. Students were saying things like: "The rumors were just rumors." "She was being framed." and "They were all lies."

The plan to defame Ichinose had failed miserably, but I don't think it's over by a long shot.

It was Friday, after school. I was on my way back home from the school building; I bore witness to a large crowd of people as I entered the dorm lobby.

On my way back home from the school building, I bore witness to a large crowd of people as I entered the dorm lobby.

A scene like this taking place as I returned to the dormitory was one I felt like I had experienced before.

I walked up to my mailbox, spun the dial to the correct combination, and peered inside. I noticed that someone had placed a neatly folded piece of paper inside, just like the last time. It would be a printout if it were the same type of message as before. 

That means it would be a copy that was printed. When it's folded this way, it's impossible to distinguish between a handwritten letter and a printed copy. I slowly unfolded the paper to read its contents.

'Ichinose Honami is a criminal.'

Ichinose's classmates in Class B had written a letter that accused her of being a criminal. When she arrived at the dorm, one of her friends handed her the letter, and she read it.

Ichinose didn't say a word. She just looked down and stared at the letter.

The sentence in the letter takes no more than one second for somebody to read in their mind.

From the looks of it, Ichinose spent dozens of seconds reading that single line of text repeatedly.

"This is in the mailboxes?"

"Yeah... It's terrible. It's probably in every first-year mailbox..." One of the girls from Class B, Mako Amikura, spoke as she approached and hugged Ichinose.

"Hey, you don't need to put up with this anymore. Why don't we talk to the teachers? Something like this shouldn't be forgiven."

"That's right! If we bring it to the teachers, they'll find the culprit!"

"I'm okay. Something like this isn't enough to get to me."

Ichinose, why are you lying to yourself? You can continue smiling, but your eyes tell a different story.

"Y-You have to! If you don't, the horrible rumors about Honami-chan will spread everywhere!"

Her classmates persuaded her to change her mind, which wasn't surprising. Even if only one person believes the rumors, it can still damage Ichinose Honami's reputation. 

That person's opinion of her will slowly worsen and could significantly impact her. Ichinose can stay silent without hesitation, but her peers may not be as strong-minded.

They're all looking for some way to help her. After all, proving her innocence would also lead to being able to enact punishment on the culprit responsible for all of this. However, doing that would only push Ichinose into a corner.