Vol. 7.5 Chp. 2: Meeting With Manabu

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

I was lying in bed when I heard my phone buzz and checked to see who was texting me. It was an unknown number that I didn't recognize.

???: This is Horikita Manabu, and I have something important to discuss with you in person.

I don't think he would take no as an answer.

Cafe

I arrived at my destination at a not-so-popular cafe, but there were still more people there than usual since it was the holiday. I saw the man sitting on the way back, but someone else was with him.

A confident smile was on her face as our gazes met. I made my way over, "It looks like kouhai is here," Kiryuuin said.

"You're late, Kagurazaka," Manabu said, sipping his coffee.

'You texted out of nowhere, and what is she doing here?'

"You're breaking your favorite senpai's heart," she feigned hurt as I rolled my eyes.

"Just ignore her," Manabu said, adjusting his glasses, "Don't worry about your lateness because it was rather sudden."

I sat down at the table.

"Are you going to order anything, kouhai?" Kiryuuin asked.

I shook my head.

"Let's get straight into this," Manabu said, "I researched you, Kagurazaka. I want to ask you a few questions."

'Uh, okay.'

"There's no records of you attending elementary or middle school, but you managed to score a perfect score on the entrance exam," Manabu said.

I saw the strange gleam in Kiryuuin's eyes as her grin widened slightly, "Oh? That's interesting."

'I've been homeschooled.'

"I see," Manabu said, "I heard about you getting a zero on the practice exam, but I have a feeling you did that on purpose. What was your reason behind it?"

'Because Chabashira-sensei said that it wouldn't count, so why should I try on something that doesn't matter?'

Kiryuuin chuckled, "Kouhai knows how to relax, unlike a certain former student council president."

Manabu didn't comment as he continued wearing a severe expression, "Let's talk about your contribution during the exams."

'I don't want to be this person, but why you called me out here?'

Manabu adjusted his glasses, "What I'm trying to say is that you are a real mystery and could be a huge problem...  That's what I initially thought at first. Your feat at the cruise ship exam, the summer vacation during the volleyball game, and what you did at the sports festival changed my mind."

"I'm learning more about you, kouhai," Kiryuuin commented.

'That still doesn't answer why you called me out here.'

"Sorry, but I'm wary of Nagumo because of the school tradition. As President, I maintained the traditions this school was founded on because I believed in the system's rules and felt this was the correct path. However, Nagumo is trying to overturn it all. In all probability, next year, you'll face unprecedented expulsions."

So, Nagumo wants to eliminate the useless while the strong pervades. He's keeping the strong at the top as the weak fall below.

'I have a question to ask. I heard you about refusing Katsuragi and Ichinose from joining the student council, but I noticed Ichinose spending time with Nagumo. What's the reason behind that?'