Vol. 11 Chp. 6: Ayanokouji vs Sakayanagi

'...' Writing
'...' Sign language
"...": Text to speech

Horikita's POV

I have a chessboard before me and have only recently learned its rules. I'm touching the chess pieces for the first time in my life. During my specialized training with someone over the computer, I've come to appreciate the depth and enjoyment of chess. 

If I were playing against Ayanokouji or Sakayanagi, I doubt I'd have a chance at winning. However, the person across the table from me is not either of those two. I don't know how skilled Hashimoto-kun is, but I find it difficult to imagine that he is better than either.

"Good luck, Horikita."

My opponent casually called out to me, and from what I've heard, even the people in Class A think he's a scoundrel.

"What's with the scary look? Don't you want to enjoy this situation a little more?"

"A Class A student like you, who's spent this past year at the top, wouldn't be able to understand just how meaningful this match is for us in Class C."

"It'd suck for us to pay out a bunch of class points if we lose, just like you guys."

The outcome of this chess match will determine whether our class can earn 130 points and graduate in our first year.

"By the way, do you remember my name?"

"I've never spoken to you before, but it's Hashimoto-kun, right?"

"I'm flattered, you know. After all, you, Class C's Horikita, are a bit of a celebrity. I first heard of you when you foiled Ryūen's plans during the Deserted Island Special Exam."

I didn't do anything back then; it was all part of Ayanokouji's plan. But it probably wasn't even something he would call a strategy.

"I've only been playing chess for a few months now. Go easy on me, right?"

"Unfortunately, I've only been playing for a week."

"Really...?"

Even though we had yet to move any of the pieces, the battle had already begun.

Anything we say here could be a mixture of truth and lies. Our history with chess is just one example. We were battling to keep each other in check and find weaknesses in each other's mentality. 

Although the exam was lenient regarding small talk among the participants, the only exception was with written tests where the answers might be spoken out loud. Ayanokouji and Sakayanagi, being the commanders, had most likely had many battles like this with one another by now. With the current three-to-three tie, it all depended on the seventh event. 

This was all thanks to Hirata's return to action, Sudou keeping his cool, and the collective efforts of a significant number of people. Kouenji's lack of action in the Flash Mental Arithmetic event was the only thing I needed to reflect on, but that could be left for another day.

Kagurazaka... He refused to participate. I want to help him, but he's been distant.

I recalled the arrogant, shocking words Ayanokouji left me with before the morning exam.

Nobody is more substantial than me, even when I'm going easy on them. Remember that.

Surprisingly, as infuriating as it was to hear him say those words, they now felt incredibly reassuring. If Hashimoto isn't a match for him, I can win too.

I don't know why, but it doesn't feel like I'm going to lose. Right from the start, all I could think about was how it felt like I had already secured the upper hand.