Vol. 7 Chp. 4: Fearing The Unknown

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

'So, what did you want to talk about? It seemed rather important if you wanted to talk to me alone.'

He's cutting right to the chase, huh? This will make things easier for me.

"It's about Ryuuen. It's obvious to everyone now that he is suspicious of a master puppeteer within Class D's shadow. Someone who isn't as Horikita."

'I know it's you.'

I shouldn't be surprised that he figured it out, but I still had more to say. I didn't get a chance when he showed me his notebook.

'You can't continue hiding. What are you going to do?'

I sighed, leaning back in my seat, "I know... This vexed me. Considering what Ryuuen might do for his next uproar."

I reached into my pocket and out a burner phone. I fiddled with it before handing it to him.

Kagurazaka's POV

It was a picture of Karuizawa.

I analyzed the photo before me.

Kiyotaka has been in contact with Ryuuen. It's a warning that Ryuuen knows someone close to the mastermind.

How long have they been working together? When did Karuizawa start acting differently?

Manabe mentioned an anonymous messenger to me.

She told me what happened between her and Karuizawa, so Kiyotaka had contacted Manabe on the cruise ship at some point.

He must have seen what went down... Adding the state Karuizawa was in, he could've taken advantage of the situation.

So, they have been working together since the cruise ship...

Ayanokouji's POV

He has been staring at the phone for a few minutes and hasn't done anything.

He started writing in his notebook, 'Karuizawa hides behind a mask. She can pretend to act tough, but she's scared and broken.'

My face didn't show it, but I was surprised he figured it out by staring at the photo.

'Her attitude toward you has changed, too... You used Manabe-san to try and break Karuizawa-san.'

The atmosphere shifted as it felt tense and suffocating. His facial expression didn't change as he stared at me. It was like he was staring right through me.

I covered up my tracks but didn't take Norogumi associating with Manabe.

She even took the risk of telling him, but why would she?

'What's stopping you from acting?'

"I want a peaceful life, but if I act on it, I would have to abandon it, and I would be playing Ryuuen's hand."

'I think you're an idiot.'

Huh?

'I don't know why you want a peaceful life, but I don't think coming to this school was the best choice. Wouldn't you have forfeited your right to a peaceful life since the beginning?'

'I don't think anyone at this school can have a normal life.'

He's right, though. This school is anything but ordinary.

'What do you think he will do with her? It clearly won't be anything good.'

"She has a history of being bullied, so he might use that to blackmail her and spill the information," I gave my input, "It seems you understand the gist of my dilemma."