Susanna's Mission

~One Week Later~

Susanna giggled, pulling her phone out from her pocket and snapping a few pictures of the adorable scene taking place in her living room. Sherlock was sitting in the armchair, legs crossed, with a purring Barney sprawled out in his lap. The detective had his head leaning onto one hand and was petting, rubbing and scratching the feline with a small smile. Susanna couldn't suppress a sigh, "Aww, Sherlock..."

"What?" He snapped his head towards her and his hand froze over Barney's ears. He noticed Susanna's phone, "Really, Love?"

"I might just have to make that my new wallpaper, Darling." She chortled and walked past them into the kitchen, planting a kiss on his cheek on the way.

It was a lovely Saturday morning and the night before they'd had an adventurous evening out with John and Rosie. Sherlock had finished up with Mycroft's long list of cases the day before and had wanted to get away from 221B long enough to have some quiet, so he'd shown up at 48 Ainsworth earlier that morning and had made himself comfortable.

"Barney seems to have attached himself to me, Susanna." He heard her chuckle from the kitchen and turn on her Bluetooth speaker. As it started to play classic Rock n Roll, she walked back with a cup of tea.

"You've become rather fond of him too, Sherlock." He accepted the cuppa and took a sip.

"I suppose that I have." He admitted.

"He's been through three boyfriends with me and he didn't like any of them as much as he likes you."

"Really?"

"Mmm hmm." She smiled and walked back to the kitchen. Sherlock finished the honey-laden tea and gently relocated Barney to the floor so that he could get a second cup. As he walked in he smirked, watching Susanna dance around while making a light breakfast. She used a spatula as a microphone to sing along to the Viva remix of Elvis Presley's Bossa Nova Baby.

When she spun around and saw him, a blush overtook her cheeks and he laughed, "You're in a very good mood this morning."

She recovered and chirped, "I am, aren't I?"

She stepped closer and reached up to kiss his cheek again. This time he angled his head and caught her lips with his. She giggled and pecked another kiss on his lips and then returned to breakfast, still dancing and singing. Sherlock poured another cuppa and leaned against the counter to listen and watch.

If he was a masterful violinist, Susanna was a beautiful Sopralto singer. Sherlock often heard her singing to Rosie or along to the radio. She could sing anything short of opera, of which she had expressed her own distaste, and rap.

There was a knock at the door as Susanna was plating scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. Sherlock gave her a nod and went to get the door. When he opened it he found Mycroft and Niles Trowbridge standing outside. Sherlock opened the door without a word, but gave Mycroft a hard look. The British Government returned it with a dead smile, "John said you'd gone to see Susanna."

"What are you doing here?" Sherlock probed. Susanna turned off the music and emerged from the kitchen, her face fell when she saw the visitors. Mycroft tapped his umbrella.

"We have a mission."

"I think I've had enough cases from you, brother mine."

"Not for you. For Susanna." Niles clarified. Sherlock turned to Susanna who was exchanging stern looks with her father.

"What is it?" Susanna asked. Her father exhaled.

"A Top Secret Scientific Research Vessel was scheduled to make port in England for resupply two days ago. They dropped off the radar after reporting that three crewmembers died after taking violently ill. The boat was on a joint mission between America and England." Niles explained.

"We have reason to believe that the crewmember deaths were not of natural origins. The symptoms described do not point to innocuous seasicknesses or otherwise. The boat is carrying highly sensitive experiments which would fetch a great sum on the black market."

"Then why do you want me to take this on? I'm not an investigator."

"You have top secret security clearance and are a Forensic Scientist, or have you forgotten? You are also a dual citizen, which satisfies the demands from the American Government."

"So you want to fly me out to the boat and have me determine the situation?"

"Yes. If the boat has been compromised due to the nature of the experiments onboard, then you are the best bet at containing the situation."

Sherlock lowered his eyes, wanting her to decline. If the crewmembers had died from the experiments then she could also become infected and die, which he would not let happen. If the boat itself had been sabotaged, then she could be killed. Again, not a scenario that he would allow under his watch.

"I'll take it." Sherlock snapped his eyes back to her as an unexplainable pain surged through his heart.

"Excellent." Sherlock started to protest as Susanna continued.

"Provided that I can take Sherlock with me." She added firmly. Sherlock smiled the tiniest bit.

"He does not have the clearance-"

"He won't need it. If the ship was compromised then I need someone on my six while I'm handling the experiments and such," Susanna explained, "That is the only way I will accept the mission."

Mycroft and Niles exchanged looks and the former sighed with a nod, "Very well. The two of you will be flown out this afternoon." Susanna nodded in response and then gestured to the door.

Niles took the hint and made his way out of the flat, followed by Mycroft who gave them both a cold smile. Once they'd gone then Sherlock faced Susanna with a frown, "Why, Susanna? Why!?" He demanded.

"Because I want to prove myself to them," She sighed, "And to you."

Thank you for reading!! Please vote and comment below!