Cold Evening at 221B

December 14

Sherlock paid the cabbie and got out behind John. They rushed inside and up to 221B to evade the danp cold, John shuddering all the way, "Next time, Sherlock, give me forewarning so I bring a coat!"

"I didn't think the weather necessitated a coat on your account." Sherlock replied as they tromped in. Susanna heard them and peeked her head out of the kitchen.

"Hot Cocoa?"

"Is it hot?" John asked.

"Freshly so," John darted into the kitchen and ladled out a steaming cup of cocoa, adding some cinnamon and leaning against the counter, "You look like you've been Frostbit, John."

"Probably so," He complained, "Sherlock didn't let me grab my coat."

"I can see that."

Sherlock walked in and kissed his lover briefly before acquiring a cup for himself, "... I'm cold too." He whined, seeking her attention. He had been tracking a serial rapist in the freezing weather and hadn't gotten lunch, which he'd become accustomed to. He was starving, cold, and feeling much more needy than he'd like to be.

"I know. That's why I made hot chocolate, darling." Susanna hummed. Rosie came toddling in with a book in her hands, heading straight for her father.

"Daddy home! Cold?" She babbled. John set down his hot cocoa and knelt to hug his daughter, "Cold! Cold!" Rosie squealed. Susanna chuckled and put an arm around Sherlock's back.

"She was a bundle of energy today." She mused.

"I deduce that you had plenty of activities to channel that energy with."

"Yep. I was going to bake cookies with her if you two didn't get back soon."

"The rapist we were chasing made a slip up, which cut down the pursuit time. However there is solid evidence that he is one of several in a local ring. I let DI Dimmock have that case though." Sherlock explained, taking a long sip of the cocoa..

"Dimmock? Not Lestrade?" Susanna asked.

"He's another DI who often fills in for Lestrade. He's worked with us on a few cases." John elaborated.

"Ah," Sherlock finished his cup and went for a second, "Wow, I haven't seen you down hot cocoa that fast before. Must be a good batch."

"You haven't tried it yet?"

"I did but it was too hot and I burned my taste buds. I can't really taste anything right now and won't for about a week."

"Are you okay, though?" John asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," After his second cup, Sherlock rummaged through the refrigerator and found two neatly wrapped sandwiches, "One for each of you. You'll have to do grocery shopping soon, by the way."

"Thank you, Love." Sherlock grabbed his and sped into the living room, planting a kiss on her cheek. She sighed and followed him out, heading for the sofa. Eventually Rosie pulled John out into the living room to play as well.

Sherlock finished the sandwich and disposed of the wrapping, retreating to the bedroom to trade his blazer for a dressing gown. As he returned to his chair he looked at Susanna, "Love."

She looked up from her laptop and stifled a chuckle, seeing Sherlock's needy expression. She patted the space next to her on the sofa, "I'm working on a few things, Darling. You'll have to come over here."

Sherlock considered for a moment and then marched to the sofa, flopping down beside Susanna with flourish of his dressing gown. He slid down so that his head was on her shoulder and his arms were draped around her waist. His eyes slipped half closed, but through them he watched her update the "Rosie Log".

She finished inputting some data and as her laptop buffered, she lifted her hand to run her fingers through his hair. He grasped her hand and made a gentle motion. She got the hint and played with his curls; tousling the chocolate tendrils as Sherlock melted against Susanna. Not sleepy, only content.

The data saved and she lowered her hand back to the keyboard. Sherlock grunted with displeasure, "I didn't want you to stop."

"Trying to get a few things taken care of, Darling."

"Uncle Shewlock gwumpy!" Rosie called out. Susanna and John laughed and Sherlock rolled his eyes.

"Not Grumpy. I require a distraction now that I have solved yet another case."

"Yes, Sherlock, but you are a little needy tonight." Susanna murmured. She opened her email and started sorting through the messages. Sherlock saw a particular email and his eyes opened fully.

"Why are you being contacted by a Research Lab?"

"Oh, Loman-Bullard? They've been contacting me for a few months, wanting me to work for them. They're not just a Research Lab. They contract out Forensic Scientists and Lab Techs, for example, to the Government and Police. It's a fairly new organization and is like a pet project for my Dad. Although he doesn't know they've been trying to recruit me."

"Ah." He said nothing else as she went through the rest of her emails. Finally she closed her laptop and sighed.

"There. Done."

"Good." Sherlock replied and grabbed her hand, placing it over his hair once more. She chuckled and obliged.

"Happier?"

"Yes." He crooned.

Thank you for reading!!