An Interrupted Brunch {Susanna}

Sherlock and I enter the living room hand in hand. Missus Hudson and John are on their feet in seconds, the former approaching first, "Congratulations, Dearie!" She hugs me warmly.

"Thank you, Missus Hudson." She almost squeaks with happiness and steps away, allowing John to come up and give a short hug.

"Congrats, Susanna!'

"Thank you, John." I smile. Sherlock stands off to the side as I let them see the ring. As Missus Hudson is admiring it she goes into a few short stories, John heads upstairs to get Rosie. Once Missus H is satisfied, John returns with Rosie and we decide to go out for brunch to celebrate. Sherlock and I take my bike while Missus Hudson takes the others in her car.

At the outdoor cafe where we decide on, we have to pull a couple tables together but it works. Sherlock and I take our seats close to each other, with him to my left, and I let Rosie sit in my lap while we wait for our food.

Rosie notices the ring of course and reaches for it, "Pwetty Sparkle, Zuzu!" John stiffens up.

"She'd better not get any ideas," The army doctor muses, "No one will be good enough for her."

"Maybe not, but she'll be grown up before you know it, John, and-"

"Don't remind me." I chuckle. I can't wait to see him, an army doctor, during her teenage years. It'll be interesting. I hand Rosie back to John and Sherlock takes hold of my hand, massaging it affectionately, lingering on my ring finger.

When he proposed last night, or rather last year, I was worried he might fall over because he was shaking so much. I know it was because he was afraid that I would turn him down. That fear is barely evident today, if there is any, having been replaced with bliss. I blush and smile when Sherlock squeezes my hand three times. I respond in kind.

The food is brought out and we dig in, in relative peace. Rosie causes a bit of a mess, but other than that our brunch starts smoothly. About half way through, though, our peaceful celebration "livens up".

"Oi, Sherlock!" I look up from my half-finished crepe to see Lestrade walking up, "I've been trying to get ahold of you."

"I'm busy, Lestrade. Is it at least a seven?" Sherlock responds.

"Well, as a matter of fact-" Lestrade starts and then sees the engagement ring. He stares for a second and then bellows a laugh, "Sherlock, you finally proposed to her?"

"I did," Sherlock replies. Since the outdoor cafe isn't enclosed it's easy enough for Lestrade to walk over. Sherlock stands up, "Gavin-"

The DI traps him in a strong hug, "Congratulations, mate! I'm happy for the two of you!" He pounds Sherlock on the back, lets him go and then shakes his hand before coming to me. We shake hands, "Congratulations, Susanna!"

"Thank you, Greg." I smile and he backs up. I forgot how wearing an engagement ring is like a beacon.

"Is the case at least a seven, Garrett?"

"Mm? Oh, More like a three, I guess."

"I'll stop by Scotland Yard later then, Lestrade." The DI nods and gives one last smile and farewell before leaving. Sherlock exhales, sitting back down. I grab his hand.

"Will you ever call him by his actual first name, darling?"

"Maybe." The rest of us chuckle and swiftly finish brunch before heading back to Baker Street again. Molly stops by for a short visit and while I know she still harbors residual affection for Sherlock, she's happy and gives her congratulations.

Eventually I know that I have to tell the rest of my family. Instead of calling them and having them deafen me like Brooklyn, I decide on a visual approach, "Sherlock?"

"Yes, Love?" I walk over to him.

"I still have to break the news to my family."

"You haven't told them yet?" Both he and Johm give me a look and I shake my head.

"No, been kinda busy with you. But I have an idea."

"What would that be?" John seems to catch on though.

"Do you want me to take the picture for you?"

"Oh, thank you, John."

"Picture?" I nod.

"Of us, darling."

"So they can see the ring?"

"Mmm-hmm."

"Alright." I smile and kiss his cheek.

"Thank you, Sherlock."

It takes some brainstorming and collaboration, but we come up with a cute pose where the ring can be seen. We're both sitting on Sherlock's chair, smiling, with his arms wrapped around me and my hands over his. The light hits the ring and makes it stand out.

John obliges to take the photo and then I send it en masse to my close relatives and friends. No caption.

It only takes two minutes before my phone starts blowing up with messages. John chuckles from his chair at every notification alert and Rosie looks on with curiosity as he reads one of her new books with her. Sherlock continues to hold onto me as I unlock my phone, and we read the incoming messages together.

I can't believe it! My baby girl's ENGAGED! -Ma

I'm so happy for the both of you! Congratulations! -Marcia

He's One Lucky Son of a Gun! Happy Engagement, Sue Ann! -Thomas

Thomas's makes us chuckle the most. The same general idea is echoed in the first wave of texts. With the second wave comes a barrage of when, how, and where.

I politely reply with "We haven't discussed much yet. Will keep you posted" and set my phone away, cuddling up to my new fiancé, "Have you told your family?"

"No. May I use that picture though?"

"Of course, Darling."

Thank you for reading!! The picture below was the inspiration for the couple pose. I think it's too adorable!

 I think it's too adorable!