The Calm Before... {Susanna}

Mid-May

Is that.. violin music?

Yes.

Sherlock.

I toss and turn in bed.

What is he doing here? Although the music is dreamy, I've been fighting a migraine all night. I've got my appointment with Neuro today too...

Groaning, I force myself to awaken enough to open my eyes and check my phone. 0600. Of course. Might as well get up anyway.

But instead I lie somewhat helplessly in bed, tangled in the covers, soaking up the warmth of the sheets and the rich violin streaming from the living room. My migraine is the main obstacle to getting up. It's not very severe but I'd much rather stay snuggled up with my pillows and Sherlock's music than move, "Come on. Get up, Susanna."

At 0630 I finally sit up and stretch lightly before grabbing my clothes and bath robe to freshen up. I turn on the water as hot as I can bear and let it work on my head, neck and shoulder muscles as much as possible, but in the long run it only makes me want to curl up in bed more.

Finally I stroll out of the bathroom and find that Sherlock has taken to his chair with Ziva, now almost fully grown, in his lap. He sees me and smiles gently, "Good Morning, Love."

"Morning, Darling."

We share a brief kiss, "Are you alright, Susanna?"

I shrug, "Migraine. But I've got my appointment with Doctor McAdams today so I'll discuss it with her."

"It being the weakening of your current prescribed medication?"

"Yes. I think only a slight increase in the dosage would do the trick."

"Of course," He relocates Ziva and stands up, pressing a gentle kiss to my forehead, "I brought breakfast this morning and fed Ziva for you."

I blanche and then smile, "Wow. Thanks, Darling."

"I decided that it would be good practice. I don't expect you would give up Ziva and wouldn't want you to."

"Aww, that's very sweet, Sherlock." I giggle. He's been trying to help us practice for our marriage by doing something once a week to simulate one aspect or another of wedded life. Last week it was having regular meals with each other. This was more or less successful, given his schedule is unpredictable and demanding. We settled on trying for at least one meal a day, preferably breakfast, where we're together to share it. The week before that he had me teach him how to cook more than eggs and tea. It didn't prove as successful as he'd hoped, but with practice he'll improve.

Sherlock smiles and we walk to the kitchenette. Ziva weaves in between us to get to her food and water dishes. Once we've made up a couple plates and put the food in the microwave to warm up, Sherlock slips his arms around me from behind. As his chin rests on my shoulder he sighs, "You smell nice."

"Thanks..?"

"You always do, Susanna," He clarifies and kisses my jawline, "Tea tree and peppermint."

"I should've known you'd figure that out." I chuckle and twist my head to kiss his cheek.

"You thought I wouldn't?"

"Just never thought about it," I exhale, "Busy night, darling?"

"I was at the University going through records of past students and at Molly's lab trying to get more clues. The arsonists seem to be taking a holiday and so the case has gone cold,"

"That explains the violin this morning," I remark, "So you still haven't gotten anywhere with the Arsony Case?"

"I know what I should be looking for but nothing seems to turn up. And the violin was for you, Susanna, not for me to bemoan the state of the most frustrating case that I've had in almost a year. I took that out on the wall in 221B earlier this morning."

"Really?"

"Yes," He squeezes his arms around me, "In fact, I was playing a draft of our wedding waltz."

"So it's coming along, then?"

"It is. But it's far from finished." The microwave dings so I retrieve our food and we head back to the living room. He takes his chair again and I curl up on the chaise, turning on the TV and tuning to the news.

Ziva meows and jumps up on my lap, "Ziva!" I try and eat in peace but she keeps slicking across me. Sherlock watches in amusement.

"Is this what I have to look forward to?"

"This and a whole lot more." He smiles and calls Ziva over to him so that I can eat. I snap a few pics of him playing with her and save the best one.

By the time we're finished with breakfast it's time for me to head to the Neurologist. Sherlock helps me clean up and then walks me out to the car park, holding my hand. As I'm getting onto my bike he cups my face and plants a deep, loving kiss on my lips. These wonders don't happen often and so I kiss back and let it happen.

A couple minutes later I have to throw in the towel, both for the sake of time and because I'm almost out of breath. I peck his jaw and cheek one last time before securing my helmet. Sherlock grabs my left hand before I can start the bike, "Susanna?"

"Yes, Sherlock?"

"Stay safe."

"Always, darling," I start my bike, "See you later!"

"Laters!" I laugh and leave for my appointment, shaking off the slightest feeling of danger.

Thank you for reading! Please consider voting or dropping a comment if you are enjoying the story, it would mean a lot!