John's Pep Talk

New Years Eve

"John." Sherlock called as the doctor cane down the stairs. The tone of his voice caught his attention and John walked in, slightly concerned.

"Yes, Sherlock?" The TV was on and Sherlock had it on the news, although he was fiddling with his lock-pick kit that Susanna had bought for him more than watching the telly.

"I am going to take Susanna out tonight."

"Oh? Where?"

"Given that neither of us would consider braving large crowds, somewhere quiet. The forecast shows snow tonight, so a park." John caught on.

"You're going to ask her?"

Sherlock was silent. He slowly lifted his head and met his best friend's eyes, nodding, "... Yes."

John almost jumped for joy, but settled for patting Sherlock on the back, "Excellent, Sherlock! Excellent!" He sat down across from the detective and noticed the brunette's anxious demeanor, "Nervous, mate?"

"Of course I am, John. This isn't a case. This isn't using Janine to get to Magnussen. This is asking Susanna to take a consulting detective and high functioning sociopath for a fiancé and future husband."

John had learned that the best thing for Sherlock at the moment was to coax him into talking about his feelings, hopes and fears. So he leaned forward and turned off the TV, "What else, Sherlock?"

The detective leaned back and placed the kit on the side table, "It's also taking her as a fianceé and future wife. Caring for each other as equal partners. I used to be firmly against sentiment having a place in my life. Now I've become dependent upon it, and where I used to be certain and steadfast, I'm wallowing in the opposite," Sherlock tapped his fingers against the armrests, "I love Susanna enough to want to marry her and settle down because I want to have her constant love and companionship. I need it as much as I need your friendship and guidance. However..."

"You're worried she'll turn you down..?"

"Yes. She could easily find another man who could provide for her and love her. Someone who isn't a sociopath who doesn't need to get high off of cases and who hasn't made half the mistakes I have-"

"Sherlock, Susanna loves you. She accepts you- all of you! From your flipped up coat collar to your past drug addictions. She embraces you wholly- and you're an enormously lucky man to have met her and won her heart. You think you don't deserve her, and you might not, but where Susanna's standards are high you have risen to meet them and I have rarely seen a person work so hard at love. Neither of you are perfect, but you are-"

"Perfect for each other. Yes, we seem to be getting that a lot. Susanna accepts my flaws, I accept hers. Have you noticed, John, what hers are?"

"She doesn't have problems when it comes to influencing others..?"

"She can manipulate others but she doesn't use that ability maliciously, and rarely on purpose. One of her flaws is her tendency to hide her talents and gifts. Another is that she is, at least to some degree, frightened by success. She is given the chance to shine and shies away from it. She's also reckless and has a wicked temper," Sherlock inhaled, "But I embrace her fully despite those flaws."

"And you feel ready to live with your flaws and hers?"

"Yes." John nodded and tapped his fingers together.

"Marriage takes a lot of work, love, and patience. It changes you. And as long as you're willing to work at it, I know it'll change you for the better, Sherlock."

"Thank you, John." They fell silent for a while. Finally the doctor cleared hus throat.

"Did you ever figure out her ring preference?"

"Brooklyn and Thalia were able to provide as much information as I needed. So yes."

"And..?"

Sherlock stood up and went into his bedroom for a minute. Then he returned with a glossy violet ring box in hand, "Mycroft dropped it off this morning for me, while you were out with Rosie."

"I was wondering if you'd ever get one. You were pretty frustrated for a few days when you couldn't get information from Susanna."

Sherlock sat down again and noticed John's craning, "You don't get to see it yet, John."

"Why?"

"Because when you do see it, it will be on her finger, not in the box." John smiled.

"Alright, then. It seems your confidence is back up."

"Only some. I am lacking a plan." Sherlock bemoaned. The doctor sighed and looked at the clock.

"A plan?"

"I don't know how I should approach Susanna. How to ask or what to say."

John thought for a moment, "Susanna is a romantic. Consider an approach along those lines. I remember you said that Susanna made a speech when you first confessed your love for each other... Did you?"

"I did not. At the time I needed to hear her speech more than her hearing mine."

"Then that might be the way to go. Make a declaration, if you will, but don't make it dramatic. It needs to be heartfelt and sincere."

Sherlock considered John's suggestions, "Thank you, John."

"No problem at all, mate."

Thank you for reading!