Symptoms

It had been several days since their visit to Thomas' Studio and Susanna's revelation. Sherlock seemed to be completely unaware of the change and didn't show signs himself of having evolved from liking her to loving her. This was incredibly frustrating to Susanna, whose reborn feelings and strengthened bond with him were causing her a great deal of heartache and sleep loss. Especially when it kept building up inside, threatening to forcibly burst when she was with Sherlock.

Susanna exhaled and looked from her position on the sofa to Sherlock, who had been in his mind palace all afternoon. A blush warmed her cheeks again as she caught herself admiring his serene composure. The long, slender fingers under his chin and the way he controlled his breathing rate. His short yet bouncy brown curls, his crossed legs, his blue dressing gown, and his bright purple button up with the top buttons undone. Simple yet elegant in his own way. Stop staring, he'll notice or he already has. She pursed her lips and exhaled softly, looking down at her phone. I need to tell him or I might suffocate.

"You alright, Susanna?"

She looked up at John as he brought her a cuppa tea, "Yes, I'm quite alright. Ta."

"You've been staring at me, Susanna." Sherlock cuts in. Luckily his eyes aren't open and so he didn't see her turn flush pink. John saw this and a knowing gleam passed in his eyes.

"I can't help it if you're handsome, darling," She replied calmly, "I thought you were contemplating this case."

"I just solved it. John, text Lestrade and tell him to arrest the sister if she has a floral phone case." John sighs and pulls out his phone, walking back to his chair while satisfying Sherlock's request. The latter opens turns his head to face me, eyes scrutinizing Susanna's expression. She gave it a minute before asking him.

"What, Sherlock?"

"Are you cold, Susanna?"

"Hm?" He narrowed his eyes.

"Are you cold? You're more pink than should be normal. When are you supposed to get your coats from Thomas? Soon, I hope. The weather is getting colder and we are getting more rain."

"I'm perfectly fine-"

"You are from the southern U.S., where it is warm year round."

"I lived the equivalent of years visiting the northern U.S. and other regions with cold climates. I'm fine," She explained and lowered her eyes back to her phone where she was texting Brooklyn and her Ma, "Thomas has finished the final tailoring so I am picking up the coats this evening."

He falls silent again, but she heard him stand up and cross the room. She didn't look up because she was still pink, but soon felt his warm hand on her forehead and then her cheek. Her breath hitched, "Susanna, you might be ill. You're warm and your breathing is slightly irregular." He didn't see John stifle a snicker, for which she was grateful.

"I'm not sick, Sherlock." She still didn't look up.

His fingers pressed against her lymph nodes, "John."

"Yes, mate?"

"Your expert opinion is needed. Is Susanna ill?"

"Sherlock-" Susanna looked up and John gave her an understanding look as he walked over. Sighing, She turned off her phone as John obliged to evaluate her symptoms, "I wouldn't be here if I was sick. I wouldn't risk Rosie's health."

"She isn't sick, Sherlock. She's fine." John pronounced and returned to his chair.

"Then what-"

"Sherlock, it's nothing." She interrupted.

"Have you been resting fully at night?" Sherlock inquired next, concentrated on his girlfriend's apparent ill.

"I haven't slept well in days..," Susanna admitted, "But that's not why I'm pink and warm, darling."

"Regardless, you should probably head home and get a better night's rest, Love. Otherwise you might, in fact, take ill." That's not going to help any if I don't tell him. But how..?

"I thought you needed me for a few more hours?"

"I do believe that we can tend Rosie without your aid for an evening," The brunette detective cupped her face, gently stroking her cheeks, "Why haven't you been sleeping well, Love?" At this point he was bent over and balancing on the balls of his feet in front of her. He's genuinely concerned for me. John sympathized with Susanna, so he stepped quietly into the kitchen.

"Just a lot of things on my mind recently." She replied. She's being too vague on purpose. She's hiding something. He thought and took a breath, moving his fingers down to the side of her throat to take her carotid pulse. His favorite place to take her heart rate, which sped up as he touched it.

"What things have been weighing on your mind, love?" Susanna's eyes turned a bright shade of lilac and her breath hitched again as they locked gazes. He didn't notice that she'd grabbed her purse and jacket.

Susanna took a deep breath and lurched forward into him, planting a deep, emotional kiss on his lips. It knocked him off balance and he would have tumbled backwards were it not for him promptly grabbing onto her waist and righting himself. He leaned in to match his lover's sudden display of dominance just to have her back out, somehow wriggling her way out of his embrace and scurrying to the door, "What-?!"

"I-I think I'd better pick up my coats and go home to rest, like you said. Bye, Darling!" And she was gone. Sherlock was stunned. She'd never reacted that way before and her behavior, for days, had been like this. Getting them both worked up for a promising moment and then she would cut it off.

John walked back in as Sherlock fell into the sofa in a daze, "John..."

"Yes, mate?"

"Why is she doing that?" John exhaled in exasperation, "Is she no longer interested in me?"

"Good grief, no. I think it's quite the opposite."

Thank you for reading!!