Red String

Sherlock stood and stared at the wall which was plastered with crime scene notes, chemical reports, and other information, plus a few maps of London. He'd redone the red strings at least ten times and still couldn't connect the dots.

It had been two weeks since the fifth arson, and in that time frame the arsonists had struck three more times. Now it seemed they were taking a respite from blowing up flats, and had targeted three small science centers in London. Clinics, really, but the pattern of science continued.

The case intrigued and frustrated him. The challenge was eagerly accepted. But Sherlock had not been able to make much progress in determining the actual arsonists. Thus he'd been waiting for them to make a mistake, or for his brain to work out the solution.

He stood stiffly and took another deep breath, placing his hands under his chin. For a moment the idea popped into his mind that he could use a few nicotine patches to help. But he'd been doing very well for almost a full year without them, and quickly rejected the notion.

Sherlock was so focused that he hardly noticed Susanna, John and Rosie walk in. They'd popped down to Speedy's for lunch to give him some peace and quiet. Rosie toddled over and gave his legs a hug, "Uncle Shewlock? Awe you okay?"

"Yes, Rosie, I am fine." He reached one hand down and patted her head. Rosie smiled and ran after John to the kitchen to play with her watercolors. Sherlock inhaled deeply and tried to focus harder on the mass of strings and papers in front of him.

He didn't notice Susanna walk around to his front until she slid her arms under his blazer and wrapped them around his torso, resting her head on his chest. He lowered his hands to encircle her body as she massaged gentle designs into his back, "I Love You, Sherlock."

"I Love You too, Susanna."

"Still having trouble with the case?"

"Yes." She said nothing more, just stood there and hugged him tightly. With her head against his chest she could hear his heartbeat and breathing. It was calming to her, and she'd had a stressful few days, so she closed her eyes and leaned into him. Sherlock held her tightly and rested his chin atop her head as he entered his mind palace again.

He took a new route and happened to stumble across Susanna's chamber in the mind palace. Of course. She studied at a University in London. Times and courses match up, "Susanna?"

"Yes?" He detached himself and plucked the lists of victims from the wall, handing it to her.

"Do you recognize any of the names on the list?"

Susanna peered over it, "More than a few. They taught at the Uni where I got my degree in Forensic Science. I had a couple of them as Professors but most of them are names I just heard around."

"Really?" Sherlock had taken a bit of a gamble.

Susanna nodded and her brows furrowed, "A lot of these professors were infamous for being royal pains to students who were doing their research projects."

"Then we're looking for an aggrieved student, or students. Likely any who majored in physical sciences and chemistry and dropped out after being accosted by the professors," Sherlock planted a deep kiss on Susanna's lips, "Thank you, Susanna."

"No problem, Sherlock."

"John!"

"Coming!" Susanna joined Rosie in the kitchen as the detective duo raced out the door.

"Daddy gone?"

"He and Uncle Sherlock went to catch some bad guys."

"Okay!" Susanna smiled and sat down with the little girl, who was up to her elbows in watercolors.

A figure in a dark hood lowered a pair of binoculars and held a phone to their ear, "Hey, Jay?"

"What?"

"Sherlock's got a fianceé. Pretty little thing. I recognize her from Uni- one of the quiet yet intelligent ones I didn't actually mind. I think she just gave the detective a clue though. The doctor's daughter would have been interesting, but I think the fianceé would be much more rewarding."

"Agreed. I doubt Sherlock Holmes will figure out my involvement anytime soon. So for now we're going to lay low and plan."

"Roger that. I'm on my way back."

"See you soon, Alex."

Thank you for reading!!