A New Stage {Susanna}

I hear John and Sherlock bounding up the stairs, talking excitedly. The way they do when they've successfully solved a case. I smile as the two enter, wet and a tad windblown, but beaming, "Did you solve it already?"

"Yep! Sherlock deduced the woman from the dimensions of her shadow. She's currently at New Scotland Yard."

"A token from the shelter." Sherlock produces a fleece blanket and sets it on the sofa beside me. I grin, seeing the images of cats and dogs.

"Aww! That was kind of them! I'm relieved that you could arrest the woman so quickly. I'm sure the shelter is overjoyed." I run my hand over the soft fleece with a bright smile.

"Blank-ey!" Rosie babbles and reaches for it. I chuckle and let her take hold of it.

"Good job, Rosie. Blanket." I reinforce. Then John relieves me of Rosie and takes her downstairs to visit with Missus Hudson, leaving me and Sherlock alone. I giggle, watching him ruffle his now wet chocolate curls.

"Amused, lover mine?" He asks with a light smile. I stand up and pad over to him, "I see that your spirits have lifted."

"Yep!" I stand on my tiptoes and kiss his cheek. My arms wrap around his neck and I pull him down so that I'm standing flat on the floor again, "Thank you, Sherlock, for taking that case." I hear him sigh and he rests his head in the crook of my neck. His arms twist around my waist and he squeezes me close.

"I'm glad that you're letting me this close again, love. The past week has been torturous."

"I may have overreacted about what you said, Sherlock. I'm sorry I retaliated like that." I sigh, lowering my arms. This time I wrap them around his torso, under his coat and the scarf, and tap gently across his back. He inhales deeply.

"No, I am sorry. I was being insensitive when you were vulnerable. Your reaction was not unwarranted." I smile a little.

"Apology accepted, darling." His body melts against mine once I say that, and I prop him up as he releases the tension from the past week, practically falling onto me. I know that I was mean to do that to Sherlock, but I also think it was a much needed learning experience for him.

I twist my head, kissing his temple and ear. He shifts and then I feel soft, warm lips smash against my jawbone, "...Dmfgh..." He mumbles.

"What?" He stands up straight with a bright glint in his eyes.

"Date. Come along, we haven't had one in two weeks."

"But-?!"

"You're done for the day! Now come along, we're going to Angelo's. And then, I have a surprise."

"Oh? What?" He gives me a look and I chuckle.

"You'll see. Now, let's go."

I throw on my raincoat and grab my purse, then follow him downstairs. We flag a cab and head to Angelo's, with him talking about the case the entire way. I just hold his hand and listen intently, still amazed by his abilities.

"Ah! Ciao, Sherlock, Susanna!" Angelo greets warmly, "I see that you've made up?"

I nod with a light chuckle and Sherlock replies, "Of course, Angelo. We're celebrating it here." The kindly Italian nods for us to sit down and we give him our orders.

As we're waiting on our food, Sherlock hands the reins of conversation to me. I talk about a number of things, including Rosie's progress and my plans for November. Since it's August, I'm trying to help John plan for my absence now so that everything runs smoothly. He sits back and listens, barely talking until our food is brought out. Then, as I'm chowing down on my alfredo and garlic bread, he clears his throat.

"So you're really going to go?" I nod and swallow.

"I bought the tickets today after talking with John, remember?"

"I was in my Mind Palace."

"Ah. Well, I'll be gone from the eighth of November to December second. A bit longer than I originally thought, I know, but-"

"Why?"

"My family needs my help."

"Oh," He digs into his pasta and we eat in silence for several minutes. As soon as we've finished the main course, Angelo brings out a dessert for us to share, "Susanna."

"Hm?"

"What would you consider forward behavior in our courtship?" I almost choke on my bite of truffle.

"Forward!?"

"Yes, Susanna." I chase down the truffle with some water and clear my throat.

"In what context? We've already had this conversation and we know our boundaries."

"What behaviors from me would you deem too forward?"

"It depends, Sherlock. If you would do something too forward, inappropriate or uncomfortable then I would tell you. For example, I wouldn't be comfortable stargazing at this stage of our relationship."

"Why?"

"We're not quite to that level. That's more intimate than you might think. But really, Sherlock, it depends." He regards my answer and silences again.

After dinner we flag a cab and he gives the cabbie an address. The ride is quiet but relaxed, and I lean into him.

In ten minutes he nudges me, "We're here, love." We get out and I freeze, seeing that we've come to the shelter.

"Sh-Sherlock, what? Why did you bring me here?"

"I have come to the conclusion that you are happiest when you have an animal companion. The past month I have seen you struggle without Barney, and I want you to have that emotional support again."

"Sherlock, you've been my emotional support. And this is a huge step..." My heart aches and I look at him. He smiles gently and reaches out for my hand, clasping it in his.

"I feel that we've reached this stage of our courtship, Susanna. And I know you've been wanting to adopt a new companion."

I nod and smile tearily as he walks me into the shelter.

Please consider voting and commenting! Thanks!