The Parents' Visit (II)

"Well, Sherlock, she is an excellent young woman," Mister Holmes commented, "It is wonderful to see you happy with her."

"I am curious as to the mark on her neck, though, Sherlock." Missus Hudson murmured. Sherlock straightened up.

"That is a scar from when she had her throat cut open by a psychopath. Just before we started courting. Do not bring it up again." He replied sternly.

"This Susanna must be a brave woman to go through so much, then. And she seems very intelligent-"

"Susanna is one of the most intelligent people I've known." He input.

His mother sighed, "Do you not consider yourself to be in love with Susanna yet, dear?"

That question hit him and stung, even if he didn't show it. He exhaled, "I hold a lot of romantic sentiment for her."

"Oh, Sherlock, it's nothing you should be ashamed of!" His father mused.

"I'm aware."

"Well then you'd better do it soon, Sherlock. She doesn't seem like a woman who will pursue an empty relationship when there isn't anything left."

"Our courtship is our own, Mum. We are comfortable with how it is developing." Sherlock stated with finality, not wanting to address the issue with his parents of all people.

True, his affections for Susanna had evolved and deepened over the course of their relationship. The feelings were there. He cared immensely for Susanna and he knew it was mutual. Therefore he saw no reason to be cliche and rush into a sappy confession, as it were. He wasn't sure if they were actually ready.

A minute or so later, Susanna returned and dessert was served. His parents continued to quiz her and Sherlock observed their interactions. Susanna was confident and polite. She didn't shy away from the deep questions. His parents had obviously taken to her, so they were talking her ears off and the conversation was all over the place. Except the topic of their courtship and whether they were officially "in love". It was pointedly avoided.

This rubbed Sherlock the wrong way, how his parents danced around it and all. They knew he knew they were doing it on purpose so they strayed a little closer to the topic. Susanna continued to navigate the waters with ease, compared to him. She'd no doubt had plenty of experience meeting families of ex boyfriends.

Eventually he felt the need to step out for a quick breath of air. So he excused himself and left. Missus Holmes leaned closer to Susanna, "Sherlock does seem to be very happy with you, dear."

"I am very happy to be courting him as well. He's a brilliant man."

"Forgive me if this is too forward, but what do you see in the future for you and him?" Susanna almost choked, but quickly recovered.

"I can see us happy together for many years, Missus Holmes." It was vague, yet polite and sincere. They made small talk until Sherlock returned. After that it was a quick farewell from the parents, who left to see Mycroft for an opera.

The couple paid the bill and then left, arm in arm. They were quiet for the journey back to her flat, minds spinning around similar questions.

Do I love her?

Does she love me?

Do I love him?

Will he love me?

Sherlock helped her out of the taxi and they made their way to the elevator. She finally piped up, "Your parents are very nice, Sherlock. I was a bit surprised that they weren't deducing me like you do."

"A burden that my brother and I must bear," They both chuckled, "They both liked you, Susanna. I daresay you charmed them in seconds."

"Really?"

"Yes."

She smiled and leaned into his arm for a second, "I think they're still grasping that you're actually dating someone of your own free will."

"Oh there is no question about that. Mycroft still questions me about our courtship."

"I think he might understand more if he ever found someone that caught his fancy. Wouldn't that be grand?"

"Considering that he feels he is living in a tank of goldfish, that might be impossible."

"Hey, you're courting me, remember? Not impossible. Just a challenge."

The elevator doors opened and Susanna stepped out. Sherlock delayed for a moment before following her, "I remember." He whispered.

Elsewhere...

A woman picked up her phone as it buzzed with several incoming messages. She opened the conversation log and smiled almost wickedly as she scrolled through a series of pictures, "My, my, Sherlock Holmes. You have been a naughty boy. Perhaps I should come and address this new girlfriend of yours in person?"

Thank you for reading!!