A Markwardt Thanksgiving

Susanna and Thalia came back downstairs as Sherlock exited the blue bedroom, straightening his blazer over the red button up he wore. He looked somewhat shaken but managed a small smile. Susanna gave him a look, "You alright, Sherlock?"

He nodded, "Yes. Of course I am," Susanna didn't quite believe him, but she focused her attention on the still present lipstick mark on his cheek. She giggled, "What?"

"You haven't washed it off yet, darling." Thalia started to chuckle as well.

"That is quite becoming on him, Susanna." Sherlock blushed.

"Oh hush. Shouldn't you be baking?" Susanna nudged Thalia down the hall and once they were alone again, Susanna caught her boyfriend's gaze, "Sherlock, has something happened?"

"Why would you think that, Love?"

"We've been courting for months. I can tell when you're shaken up."

He sighed, "Later, Susanna." She accepted his answer and they joined the others in the kitchen. Marcia had gotten the children up and dressed, so Susanna focused on keeping them and her darling boyfriend occupied. She took them outside and brought out several boxes of chalk. The little ones started to doodle immediately but the detective stood back and wasn't sure what to do except watch Susanna create art on the driveway.

Finally at noon, after the chalk and a few outdoor games, Thalia summoned everyone for the Thanksgiving meal. Susanna sent Sherlock ahead to the dining room while she cleaned up her nieces, nephew and herself. Sherlock helped carry a few dishes to the table and by the time everything was set, everyone had gathered. George and Neil sat at the heads of the table. On George's left side sat Thalia, Marcia and the kids. To the right were Susanna, Sherlock and the twins.

They all joined hands and offered a prayer of thanksgiving, then the feast began. George carved the Turkey as platters and bowls were passed around. Sherlock was mildly intrigued by the variety available and how much of it seemed to disappear in a short time. Namely, the Turkey, Thalia's buttery braided bread and the green bean casserole.

Sherlock focused mostly on the Turkey but tried the other dishes. As the food was passed around, conversation overtook the table that normally did not include him or Susanna, so they sat and ate silently while listening to stories. He reached for her hand and she squeezed it, giving him an assuring smile, "A bit different from England, isn't it?"

"Indeed."

Near the end of the main meal Thalia cleared her throat and rallied their attention, "Alright. Everyone, before we bring out the desserts, it is tradition to go around and say a few things that we are thankful for that have happened in the past year. It is Thanksgiving, after all. So I will start and we'll go around the table."

"And please be serious. Boys," Susanna piped up, sending a look in the twins' direction. The two smiled mischievously but nodded. Sherlock looked at Susanna, "You don't have to say anything if you don't want to, Sherlock." He didn't reply, just held onto her hand.

Thalia went and then Marcia, going clockwise around the table. The twins were still goofy about the whole thing, but didn't incur the wrath of their mother or sister. Once the two had finished, Susanna was ready to go when Sherlock squeezed her hand. He gave a curt look to her parents and Neil, "I count myself exceptionally lucky to have met Susanna this year, and I am grateful to be courting her."

Susanna blushed and leaned towards him, "Aww, Sherlock, You stole what I was going to say," She gushed and then added, "I'm thankful to have you as my loving boyfriend, to have met John and Rosie this year, and for Ziva." Sherlock's lips tweaked upwards and he brought her hand to his lips, kissing her knuckles. As he brought it down she squeezed his hand three times. He responded in kind.

"Seriously?" Mason whined at the display of affections. Susanna gave him a look and he stopped in time for George to say what he was thankful for. To Sherlock's surprise, the retired Marine stood up.

"There are many things that I am thankful for. Among them being my retirement and the continued successes in our family. I am thankful for our family and to be a grandfather. But I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're all thankful for Susanna to have found a man who makes her happy, and whom is happy with and appreciates her in return."

Susanna beamed and kissed Sherlock's cheek, again leaving an imprint. Sherlock smiled almost gently, though he was inwardly celebrating. George had informed him earlier that he had won his favor. I have earned her family's official approval. He planted a light kiss on his lover's cheek as she got up to help transition the table from lunch to dessert. She smiled, "I told you so, Sherlock."

"Of course."

After everything was finished, Neil, Thalia, and the twins came up and expressed their individual approval of him. Of course they all implied the dire consequences if he wronged her, but they were sincere about their trust in him. That's all Sherlock needed.

As Sherlock headed to the bathroom to apply more paste to his still healing rash marks, Susanna pulled him aside and stretched up for a kiss. He obliged and they shared a few moments of bliss before they split, "I love you, Sherlock. I don't think I've been able to tell you that today."

He smirked and kissed her forehead, "I love you too, Susanna." She gave a mock pout which faded into a smile. She left a kiss on his jaw and went back to the living room to play chess against George. Possibly the best Birthday and Thanksgiving ever.

Please consider voting if you support this story! Thank you for reading!!