Encounters of the Cold Case (II)

As the sun had started its westward climb into the sky, the detective and forensic scientist arrived at the first of the six crime scenes; Lake Lochinvar. It was small, quiet, and tucked into the midst of several neighborhoods. One of the first things Sherlock noted was the absence of a cleared pathway around the body of water. Most of it was bordered with mangrove and shrubs, with the exception of a few boat launches and picnic tables where each neighborhood let out. Susanna turned off the car and they got out, "The body was found by that patch of mangroves over there." She gestured.

"The police inquired of the residents?"

"As many as were available and willing to."

"I must make a few queries-"

"Sherlock, I don't think that's the best idea. Why don't you examine the crime scene and I'll talk to the residents."

"Why?"

"How much orange and grapefruit juice can you hold down?"

"What does that-"

"This isn't London, darling. This is my hometown. I know how to talk to them. What questions do you want me to ask them?"

"Just the residents of the blue, the chocolate brown and the gray houses. I will come with you."

"Alright, but no complaining and be considerate." She warned and they started towards the gray house. Susanna knocked on the door five times and within a minute, a senior woman answered the door.

"Can I help you two?" She asked with a southern twang. Susanna nodded with a warm smile.

"Yes, Ma'am. We're here on a case and were wanting to ask you a few questions if you don't mind." Susanna explained, melting into her rich southern accent.

"Oh sure! The serial killer, right? Come on in!" She invited them in and led them to her living room, "Can I get you anything? Orange juice, water?"

"Orange juice, thank you." Susanna answered.

"Just water, thank you." Sherlock followed Susanna's lead. The lady nodded and retrieved two large glasses of the specified beverages.

By the time they had finished interviewing the kindly woman, Sherlock almost ran to the next house, hoping to have a much quicker conversation. Susanna pulled his sleeve and cleared her throat, "The trooper's here, Sherlock."

"You greet him, then. I need to get straight answers and fast."

"Alright," Susanna mused, letting him go. She watched his coattail flap behind him as he strode up to the next house before walking to the trooper's car. The door opened and a tall, buff officer emerged, "Officer Dean?"

"Yes, Ma'am, and my partner." The second got out and Susanna's jaw dropped.

Half an hour later Sherlock marched out of the last house. His mission to quickly acquire the information he desired failed, in that he'd suffered through two tall glasses of grapefruit juice and several stories. He made a face and shuddered, trying to rid his mouth of the horridly bitter aftertaste.

Susanna was standing with two troopers by the site where the victim was found, talking animatedly. Sherlock immediately deduced that she knew the one to her left. He walked up, brows drawn, "Susanna."

She turned around, "Hey, darling. Did you enjoy the grapefruit juice?" He made another face and she chuckled, "Obviously not. I warned you, though, darling. Sherlock, these are Officers Dean and Sanchez. The troopers assigned to this case with Gabrielle."

"Good Morning, Officers," Sherlock greeted, shaking hands with them. He eyed Sanchez, "You and Susanna are familiar with each other?"

"We dated a while during Uni, Sherlock. That was many years ago," Susanna explained quickly and tugged Sherlock to her side, "Chill." She whispered.

Sherlock gandered at Sanchez. The Trooper was taller than him and much more buff. Likely a University Jock; American Football specifically. Single, divorced two times. One kid whom he had full legal custody over-

"Sherlock." Susanna chided. He stopped deducing Sanchez and took out his magnifying glass, pulling the officer with him to look over the area. Susanna and Officer Dean stood back and discussed case details and the weather.

After five minutes Sherlock had gathered the information he needed and approached Susanna, "I need to see the other sites."

"Okay," The radio in the trooper car went off and the Officers were called away on a chase. As soon as Sanchez was gone, particularly, Sherlock relaxed his shoulders. Susanna inhaled, "Were you jealous of Sanchez, darling?"

"No." Sherlock denied. Susanna shook her head, seeing through him.

"Sherlock, I dumped him years ago and I only see him as a friend now. Besides, I want more brains and less brawn. He was and is still too brawny for me." She said, walking to the car with a slight spring in her step. Sherlock's lips tweaked upwards in a smirk and he took a few long strides to catch up with her.

"I wasn't jealous, Love."

"Then you are territorial." She chirped and hopped into the corvette. Sherlock sighed and got in.

"I don't want any one else getting ideas about you. You're my lover."

"Mm-hmm." She hummed with a smile and off they drove.

Thank you for reading!