John's Intervention

"Good grief, no. I think it's quite the opposite."

"Explain, John."

"She's not sick. She's not cold, or so she says. Sherlock, if you can't deduce what's been making her behave differently and why she hasn't been sleeping, you're a bloody idiot!"

"You wouldn't happen to know her condition, would you, John? You seem perfectly aware. Do tell me." John groaned, scratching his head.

"No. You're the world's consulting detective, you put it together. I just happen to recognize the symptoms when I see them."

"So she is sick?! John-!" Sherlock bolted to grab his things and the doctor grabbed him my his dressing gown.

"Sherlock, she's not battling any kind of illness! Sit down!" He pushed the lanky brunette back to the sofa, "What else would be making her flush red and breathe rapidly? Why is she acting so jittery around you? You?!"

Sherlock seemed to be genuinely confused, "... Me?"

"Sherlock, you're a genius but you're a bloody dense one!"

"Please enlighten me to what I seem to be missing from my deductions about Susanna's behaviors?" Sherlock asked. John huffed, shuffling his feet. Then an inkling dawned on him.

"You've stopped deducing her to death like the rest of the world. You don't forcibly see through her. You don't voyeur into her life," He smiled a bit, "This is more than sentiment and just liking Susanna more than as a friend." Sherlock stiffened.

"... Yes."

"Just say it." Sherlock lifted his gaze.

"I'm not even sure if it's actually that, John! I can't compare it to anything else I've experienced and so I can't analyze it to be certain!"

"Sherlock, I know that you're not experiencing lust so delete that theory. Don't you think I know you well enough to see everything positive that's happened to you since Susanna came along?" The doctor inhaled and decided to change his strategy, "Okay... Sherlock?"

"Yes, John?" The detective was no longer looking at him.

"Is Susanna just your girlfriend, or is she more?" Sherlock sighed, leaning forward.

"I value her as my lover. She's more than a girlfriend at this point. Besides that, she more than a just a friend."

"... A best friend?" Sherlock jolted. And there it is. John smiled and sat down beside his slightly hopeless friend.

"Sherlock, you're unnerved by the fact that she has become a best friend to you. Don't be."

"You're my best friend, John."

"Yes. And that won't change because you've found Susanna. We'll always be best friends, mates, and partners in solving crimes," John cleared his throat, "For example, Sherlock. Mary was my best friend, but in that capacity she was also my girlfriend, fiance, wife, and later the mother of our daughter, Rosie. She never replaced you. I just had two best friends. Another example is Brooklyn. She's Susanna's best friend. That won't change just because you and Susanna are lovers and now best friends as well. Understand?"

The detective nodded slowly, his eyes far off in thought. Sensing the need, he brought Sherlock in for a short but brotherly hug, "I know that the whole concept of emotional attachment is still and will probably always be a bit of an enigma for you. But, Sherlock, you can't hold back. Remember what J told you?"

"To take the opportunity when it comes."

"-Because it'll be gone before you know it. If you don't act, Sherlock, what you and Susanna have cultivated will wither away and die and she'll have to move on despite her feelings for you. And I have little doubt that she would have too much trouble finding another bloke. She's an attractive, vivacious, remarkably intelligent woman just in her prime."

"I know!" Sherlock broke, "I'm very lucky to be courting Susanna and I know that she'd probably find another man who would deserve her."

"Then what are you waiting for?"

"I can't be an ideal partner for her!" John laughed.

"No one's an ideal partner, Sherlock! Just look and Mary and me! I married a CIA Assassin turned Nurse and she married an ex Army Doctor who solves crimes with a sociopathic genius! We weren't perfect, we weren't ideal, but we matched and made it work!"

Silence fell again. John sighed, "Sherlock, if she wasn't interested in you and didn't have sincere feelings for you, I know she wouldn't have pursued a courtship with you. And vice versa."

Sherlock exhaled, "That's why she's been acting so strangely."

"Mmm-hmm."

"Her feelings haven't disappeared, they've developed. And so have mine."

"Yes."

"She's distressed because she doesn't know how to tell me."

"Pretty close," Sherlock bolted off the sofa and traded his dressing gown for his coat and scarf, "Sherlock?"

"What?"

"Did that help?"

"Of course it did!" The detective started to run out of the door and John cleared his throat, "What?!"

"You're welcome, mate."

"Thank you, John."

Thank you for reading!!