John's Speech

The newly wedded couple exited the Chapel, leading the recessional through an arch of military swords provided by Mycroft, who had wanted to put some kind of personal touch on the wedding. From there most of the guests began two hours of beverages, games and displays of the two spouses, while the bridal party started the main photography session.

The first part were group and family pictures. It took a while with the children being restless, but eventually they got the photos done. John tried his utmost to keep Rosie far from Armando as she started to follow him around, to their amusement. He was only so successful against Rosie's innocent puppy eyes.

After group pictures Susanna and Sherlock were whisked away by Louis, the other photographer, for couple's portraits. Sherlock was much more flexible with these and Louis came up with great poses and scenes for them, so the second hour went by quickly. As they made their way to the wedding breakfast Sherlock pulled Susanna around a corner, "What are you doing, darling?"

"They'll wait. I wanted at least a few seconds alone with you, Missus Holmes." She giggled, leaning up. He met her midway and gently held her by her hips as they shared several short yet passionate kisses.

Susanna simpered as they peeled off, "They're expecting our entrance, Mister Holmes. Mycroft might send after us if we don't show up soon."

"I don't know. He has been rather keen on Leilani." Sherlock mused.

"All the more reason to observe." Sherlock smiled and kissed her once more before they walked arm in arm into the Admiral's House. They made their grand entrance and sat closely together as speeches began.

John stood up, telegrams in hand. Sherlock leaned over to Susanna, "In case I hug him, when would be the best time to do so?"

"That's up to you, Sherlock." Susanna whispered back as the army veteran called everyone's attention.

John first read off the telegrams and then took a few moments before clearing his throat, "Sherlock Holmes, I believe that I speak for everyone here when I say that it's about time you got married. And yet I also know that had you not met Susanna, there probably would never have been a time. In fact until Susanna came along there wasn't anyone who could've been as smart a match as her. So good on you, mate, you've found someone else who can live with a skull on the mantlepiece, experiments on the kitchen table and everything in between."

The guests laughed lightly but those who knew how much had been implied smiled and remained silent. John continued, "Seven years ago when I first met you, you were a brash, arrogant, ignorant, insensitive and apathetic genius of a detective. You could deduce anyone and anything in less than ten seconds and didn't care how you affected other people. You were there strictly to solve cases, nothing more. I remember how surprised I was that such a talented and intelligent bloke like you didn't have a partner. But now I think I can safely say that it was, to some degree, because you weren't ready for someone who could truly be your equal and love you for all your imperfections. You weren't used to being someone's match- you had spent almost all of your life measuring up to someone or trying to beat the mark. You wanted to constantly be the best and at the top of your game."

John sighed, "But in the seven years I have been with you, I have seen you mature and change into one of the wisest, most loyal, self-sacrificing and devoted men I know and one whom I have the honor and pride of calling my best friend. And as your best friend, I am beyond pleased to see you marry one of the most compassionate, patient, wise and empathetic women in the world. Susanna has done worlds of good for you and I am grateful to have stuck with you through thick and thin to see this day. You're a bloody lucky moron and I hope you realize that, Sherlock."

Sherlock could no longer restrain himself and sprang up to hug his best friend. Susanna grinned as the two hugged it out for a few seconds before Sherlock sat back down. John cleared his throat again, "But since it's your wedding day I also get to tease you."

"Oh, John!" Sherlock sighed as his friend changed course to anecdotes. Sharing with the guests and Susanna some of his misadventures or blunders. The time he'd shown up to Buckingham Palace in a sheet came up, and a few cases like the Bloody Guardsman and Baskerville were mentioned in passing. After a good dose of friendly teasing, John wrapped up and passed the mic to Brooklyn, whose speech was just as emotional and heartfelt about Susanna, if not more comedic. It was obvious that she had been preparing her remarks for years and garnered more laughs than John did, as well as a red Susanna by the end.

A few more people gave speeches and then everyone tucked into the meal. Reina and Louis meandered around the room to take more candids and videos, while conversation filled the hall. Sherlock and Susanna recovered from the speeches and once the meal was finished, greeted all their guests and thanked them for attending. The whole time they never let go of each other's hands.

Thanks for reading!!