Meeting the Markwardts (II) {Susanna}

We get upstairs and walk down the hallway to my bedroom. The whole time I feel Sherlock's eyes resting on me. Before I open the door I turn around and face him, "Okay, what is it, darling?"

"Am I not allowed to look at my gorgeous lover?" He asks, trying to throw me off.

"You're anxious, Sherlock. And you're tired and agitated because of the flight over."

Sherlock sighs, "You know that I don't have any experience with this."

"Sherlock, I would not have asked you to come if I did not think that you were ready for it. I won't let my family hurt you, Sherlock. I promise. You just have to be yourself."

"I have to gain their approval and their blessing." He says lowly.

"It may take some effort before some of them come around, but I know you can do it," I smile, "Let me get my stuff put away and then we can relax for a bit, alright?" He nods and I push open my door, stepping in.

On cue a large bucket of shiny holographic silver glitter and red confetti drops from the ceiling. It vomits the celebratory specks all over me, the doorway, and the dark Berber carpet. The bucket itself conks me on the head before tumbling all the way to the floor. Before I can blink, Sherlock is pulling me out into the hallway and frantically checking my head, "Are you okay, Susanna?!"

"I'm fine, it didn't even hurt, Sherlock. I should have known that the twins would do something like this." I assure.

"Why would they do that? The bucket could have given you a concussion, Love!" I grab my stuff and haul it into the bedroom, throwing most of it onto the bed. I grab my purse and my phone and walk back out to where he is still rambling, "Are you sure that didn't hurt? That was a sizeable amount and-"

"Sherlock, I'm fine! No harm done, okay?"

"You're covered in glitter and confetti."

"I know. That is why I'm going to dust off in their room," Sherlock whips out his phone though and snaps a picture, "Sherlock.."

"While I do not approve of their prank, you wear that well." I burst into giggles.

"Thanks. Now give me a minute." I step across the hall into the twins' room. I shake and dust off as much as I can before walking back out to where Sherlock is waiting.

"So pranks are common place after all?"

"Yes. The rule is to only pull pranks where you can hug the person after. Rest assured I'll even the score. Now, how about we go outside?"

"They're home, Susanna!" Ma calls. I sigh.

"Nevermind. Ready to meet Pa and the twins?"

"I'm here, aren't I?"

"There's the spirit."

I take him by the arm and we go downstairs to the foyer. He stays back as I embrace the twins, and then Pa- still in official uniform. He smiles warmly, "Hullo, Susanna."

"Hey, Pa. Hey, Rhett, Hey, Mason," I greet and step backwards to where Sherlock is, "Guys, this is Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock, my Pa and the prankster twins."

"He's shorter than we thought he'd be." Mason comments. Sherlock half smiles. He does seem to get that a lot.

"Hullo, Sherlock." Pa steps forward with a kind but watchful expression. Sherlock extends his hand and they shake.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, General Markwardt."

"Likewise. Susanna speaks very highly of you. I am glad that we are finally able to meet." Sherlock maintains composure but I can tell that he's aware of my Pa's implicit statement. Mason and Rhett step forward and, though not quite Sherlock's six foot, seem to match his height.

"Hello, Mason and Rhett." He greets. I clear my throar before my darling lover can say anything about the prank. He keeps his lips sealed and shakes hands with the twins.

"Hello, Sherlock."

"Hello." They greet.

"Mason's on the left. Rhett is on the right," I clarify for Sherlock. He nods and deduces the two. Meanwhile I step right up to my funny brothers, "You've met my boyfriend now get upstairs and clean up the mess."

"Seriously-?"

"Yes. Go." They whine a bit but after a look from both me and Pa, they retreat to complete the task. Ma walks in from the kitchen.

"I know it's a bit early but it's a lovely evening for dinner outside on the patio. How's that sound to everybody?"

Sherlock looks at me and I smile, "That sounds wonderful, Ma."

"Excellent! George, go on up and change then. Make sure the boys clean up whatever mess they made."

"Of course, Thalia." He kisses her on the cheek and follows the twins upstairs, casting one last glance at Sherlock and me. I smile and step over to Sherlock's side, grasping his hand. He looks at me.

"That bucket still might have injured you, Susanna."

"It didn't. So let's move on from the prank. Besides, you did great meeting Pa and the twins."

"No-"

"Sherlock, I mean it."

"She's right. That was the hardest part. If we hadn't felt right about you, we'd kick you out. We have done it before," Ma chimes in, "Go ahead and take some time to unwind. Dinner will be ready in about an hour."

"Need any help?"

"Not tonight. Go on and relax after your flight, sweetie."

"Thanks, Ma." She winks and leaves for the kitchen again. I loop my arm through Sherlock's.

"Let's go."

"Where?"

"The porch swing, silly. C'mon."

Please consider voting and commenting below! Ta!