Meeting the Markwardts (I) {Susanna}

~November 8~

"Why couldn't we just take the private jet?" Sherlock asks as we collect our luggage in baggage claim. I sigh.

"Sherlock, I'm not going to use my Dad's private jet unless I really need too."

"Ah." He muses, swiftly grabbing my suitcase for me and setting it down on the tile floor.

"Thank you, darling."

"No problem." I smile and give him a brief kiss.

"My Ma is here to pick us up. Shall we?"

"Of course."

I take a moment and stretch. It was a long series of connecting flights and Sherlock was particularly restless, being considerably taller than me. I also suspect that he is anxious about meeting the rest of my family. Our families are pretty close to polar opposites. I have a huge family and am very close with them. Sherlock only has one brother, who he doesn't normally get along with, and isn't close with his parents.

I see Ma's silver SUV and smile, "There she is!"

"SUV?"

"Yep!" I reply and we step to the curb. She quickly pulls up and pops the trunk. Sherlock is a little bit slow on the uptake, but follows suit as I somewhat run to the trunk and load everything as quickly as possible. I close the trunk once everything is in and then pull Sherlock to the passenger door, "Hey, Mama!" I greet as I climb in.

"Hello, Sweetheart!" I kiss her cheek and buckle up, "How was your flight?"

"Long and cramped," I reply. Sherlock gets in and closes the passenger door. He reaches for the buckle and I smile, "Ma, this is Sherlock."

"Pleasure to meet you, Sherlock," She greets and pulls away from the curb, "I'm Thalia Markwardt. Just call me Thalia, that'll be fine."

"Hello, Thalia. The pleasure is mine." Sherlock replies almost mechanically. Yes, he's definitely nervous. I reach for his hand and grasp it, giving three reassuring squeezes.

"Well, I can tell you now that the boys are very excited. It was a struggle to get them to school today."

"I bet." I chuckle.

"Susanna hasn't told us too much about you, Sherlock. Do you have any siblings?"

"Just one older brother. Mycroft."

"Niles's boss?"

"... Yes."

"Ah. Well then, I hope you won't be too overwhelmed. Rhett and Mason are very lively boys."

"High-Octane Twins." I add.

"Twins?" I almost facepalm. I forgot to tell him that Rhett and Mason, my fifteen year old brothers, are in fact identical twins.

"Yes. Identical twins. But you'll figure out which one's which pretty quickly," I reply, "Sorry, that sort of slipped my mind."

"It's alright." He replies. I give his hand another tight squeeze.

"So, you're a detective?"

"Yes."

The entire ride home I stay mostly silent as Ma acquaints herself with Sherlock, who holds onto my hand the whole time. By the time we pull into the driveway Ma has gleaned almost everything from Sherlock as he might permit, "Well, Sherlock, I am very glad to see you and Susanna are doing so well together."

"As am I." He agrees with a light smile.

Ma pulls into the garage and we all hop out. Immediately she and I exchange a firm hug, "It's great to be back, Mama."

"I'm glad you could come and bring Sherlock with you, sweetie. Now, lets get you inside so you can unpack and unwind a bit," She says as the trunk door lifts open and we walk over. Sherlock, who went around the other side, stands somewhat awkwardly when Ma approaches him. Then he holds out his hand and she chuckles, shaking it firmly, "Susanna was not lying when she said you were handsome as heck."

Sherlock freezes, unsure of how to respond. I intervene, "Let's go ahead and get these up to the rooms, then."

"O-Of course." We grab the luggage and haul it inside. The feel of home welcomes me when we enter the kitchen and I take a deep breath, relishing it. Sherlock's eyes immediately begin flicking around, deducing everything.

"I've got to check the oven. I'll let you two go and settle in. Oh, Sherlock has the blue bedroom." Ma says and I nod.

"Thanks, Ma! Come on, darling," I lead him from the kitchen and past the living room, rec room/den, and finally to the first floor bedrooms. I lead him to the second door on the left, "That's the blue room, where you'll be staying. The bathroom is at the end."

He opens it, "I thought that you looked like your father but you are almost the perfect copy of your mother, Love." I smile.

"Yeah, I get that a lot. My bedroom's upstairs so I'll come back down once I get everything put away, okay, darling?"

"I can help you with your bags, Susanna." I smile.

"Get your stuff into the room first and then you can help me if you wish," In seconds he has stowed everything away and is relieving me of my heavy duty suitcase and duffle bag, "Alright, then."

As I'm leading him upstairs he asks, "Is your entire family that chatty?"

"Ma is a social butterfly and the twins take after her. My Pa is not so casual but he has no problems with conversation."

"I see. I should prepare for even more questions, then."

"Oh yes." I reply and he exhales. Yep. Definitely nervous.

Please vote and comment below! Thank you!!