The Shelter Case

~One Month Later~

"Boys, you've got another case!!" Missus Hudson called from downstairs, "Oh dear..!"

"If another one has passed out in the foyer I swear-!" John grunted and got out of his chair to see what had transpired downstairs. Susanna sighed and shook her head, readjusting Rosie in her lap as she sat on the sofa.

"You seem to attract a lot of fainting clients, Sherlock." She hummed. He looked over at her from his chair, freshly emerged from his mind palace, and narrowed his eyes. Her voice was hollow and her eyes had darkened; causes for concern.

"You're lapsing again, Susanna. Why do you keep reading that book about cats and dogs with Rosie if it makes you upset?"

"Because it's her favorite book and it'll keep her quiet." Sherlock was about to respond when John helped a waterlogged woman in her late thirties into the flat. She carried a small bundle within her jacket, the only thing which was dry. Because of the water and 221B's chilly temperature, she was shivering quite madly. Susanna and John exchanged glances and the former handed off Rosie to the latter, going to make a kettle of hot tea and retrieve a couple towels. As the tea warmed up, she walked back out with the towels and wrapped them around the woman, "Better?"

"Much, t-thank you, Miss." Susanna nodded and went back to the kitchen. The client was seated in the respective chair and Sherlock began the curt introductions. Once the duo had gone, the woman cleared her throat.

"V-Vera Langer."

"Must be some trouble for you to have braved this storm." John mused. Vera nodded.

"Oh, yes. Quite some trouble."

"Elaborate, Miss Langer. Quickly, please." Sherlock prodded, hands under his chin. She gulped and took a few breaths.

"Well, y-you see, I manage a shelter for rescued, stray and surrendered animals here in London. I've run the place for five years and we've never lost any of them. We're very thorough, you see-"

"We don't handle escaped animals, Miss Langer."

"The animals aren't escaping, though. We have a number of safeguards and a security system to prevent them from getting out because many of the animals we take in are disabled, ill, or injured."

"So they are just disappearing then?"

"Y-Yes. Then we find them on our doorstep, dead and mutilated from who knows what." Sherlock found himself wishing that Susanna was not present. While she had made her peace with Barney's death and mourned, she was still sensitive and unpredictably reactive. Case in point, he'd made the error of suggesting that she refrain from taking on another pet a week past and she'd had a conniption. Since then, he hadn't been able to come within arm's length of her. His arm's length, to be precise. The last thing we need is for her to have a breakdown. Then she won't speak to me.

"Mutilated?" John muttered. Vera nodded fervently.

"The wounds were made to look like they had come from animal fights, but I'm trained as a Vet Tech. The lacerations were made by human hands in cold blood. But I haven't been able to get anywhere with the police and more animals keep vanishing." Susanna came and delivered the piping hot tea, then collected Rosie and sat down on the sofa again. She had of course heard everything, and Sherlock could plainly see the emotional response it was triggering. She lifted her eyes and gave him a very clear, sharp look that made him shift uncomfortably.

Take. The. Case!

"We'll take your case, Miss Langer." He all but decreed. Vera exhaled with relief.

"Thank you so much!" She exclaimed, and in her moment of joy the fabric bundle that she'd carried close to her chest slid into her lap. Two small cream colored ears peeked out of the fabric, "Oh!" She gathered up the bundle again held it protectively.

"Is that one of your animals, Miss Langer?" This piqued Susanna's attention further, who craned her head in the slightest.

Vera nodded, "One of our newest to the shelter. He's the runt of a stray litter of kittens we picked up a week ago." It had to be a cat, too.

"Well then, no time to lose." Sherlock leapt from the chair and John followed suit. Vera stood up with an eager expression.

"So you'll come down and see for yourself then?"

"Go along. We have to make a stop at New Scotland Yard first and then we'll pay our visit to the shelter."

"Alright then." She gave them the address and John showed her out. As Sherlock was throwing on his coat and scarf, he hardly noticed Susanna approach and wrap her arms around him from behind. When she did, he felt a mixture of tension and relief.

"Thank you for taking the case, Darling."

"Of course, Susanna," He lifted his hands and brushed them across hers, which rested on his stomach. When she didn't pull away he swung his arms back and draped them together behind Susanna, completing their circle, "It seems you've forgiven me now, Lover mine?"

She nodded, "Yes, Darling," He twisted around and captured her lips, tilting his head and cupping her cheeks as they exchanged a few desperate, lingering kisses that had been simmering for a week. When they parted she smiled, "I believe that the game is on, Darling."

"Naturally."

In the comments below, please leave some criticism for the story. I want to make sure that you guys, the lovely readers, are enjoying this fanfiction. Thank you for reading!