Sherlock's Questions {Susanna}

December 1

I smile whilst playing Mele Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby on the keyboard. Sherlock, sitting beside me, quietly watches and listens. We've finished packing and will be leaving for the airport soon, so I wanted to soothe our nerves before nearly a day of air travel.

I think back on the past few days. Neil and his family left after Thanksgiving, so it's been rather quiet since then. But many small things have happened since my family voiced their approval of Sherlock.

For instance, Pa no longer enforces Sherlock's addressing him as "General Markwardt". Instead Sherlock can address him as "Sir". That in and of itself is a milestone not easily won. In like form, Pa has started calling Sherlock "Son" or another variation. Not all the time, but enough. Sherlock isn't excited about it but he takes it as a sign of progress. I giggle, I think he does secretly enjoy the extra attention. He's Sherlock. Of course he does.

"Why are you giggling?" He asks.

"You, darling."

"What have I done that amuses you?"

"I wouldn't put it like that. It's more of what has happened to you the past few days."

Sherlock straightens up, "Your stepfather's nicknames for me?"

"Partially."

"I do not understand why he calls me-"

"Sherlock, he is accepting you as a potential son in law. It's just his own way of expressing it." I hum.

"Potential?"

"Mmmhmm." I finish the song with a flourish.

His hand slithers around my back, coming to rest lightly on my hip, "Love?"

"Yes, Sherlock?" I look up at him.

"How do you know that your parents would support such an advancement in our relationship?"

"I told you before, Sherlock. There was one other before you who gained their approval and then their blessing."

"You did not elaborate." I sigh, shrugging my shoulders.

"My high school sweetheart. He asked my parents for their blessing and permission and on my eighteenth birthday he proposed. We'd started college and had been dating for a long time, anyway. I accepted but broke it off three months later when his family became too toxic." He stiffens.

"Mycroft... would he count as toxic?" I raise my brow.

"Mycroft? No. He's just stubborn. He'll come around," His eyes flash and I can't determine why, so I say nothing about it. Instead I remark, "Sherlock, you've been awfully intrigued by the notion of furthering our relationship since we got here."

"Well it is the normal progression of a relationship, correct?" He defends.

"Depends on who you ask, of course, but generally it is." His gray blue eyes study me like they often do when we're discussing our relationship, which has been happening more often.

"And one of your life-long goals has been marriage, also correct?"

"Well, yes, that's been a dream of mine since my childhood, but I am not going to rush into it just because I want to get married." But I want to marry before I get much older. I want to have children and I may not have the best chances if I wait too long.

Ma peeks her head into the room and I turn to look at her before Sherlock can say anything, "The bread is ready if you'd like any."

"Thank you, Ma." She recognizes the situation and nods, leaving us to talk in private.

Sherlock's hand rests a little heavier, "I presume that she refers to the braided bread."

"Probably. That's what it smells like." I agree.

"Susanna."

"Mm?" I turn to look at him again. At first he says nothing so I wait a minute before prodding, "Is there anything else you want to talk about, Sherlock?"

"Do you see me as a... possible... potential..." I quickly recognize how foreign the word must seem to him. Husband. He fades off and struggles with actually saying it and I smile, reaching up to kiss him.

"Sherlock, I Love You. Of course I see you as a potential husband."

"Why?"

"If I didn't think our relationship would develop into more than casual dating, I would have ended it a long time ago, darling." He absorbs my answer, then presses a kiss to my forehead and lips.

"I Love You, Susanna."

"I know you do, Sherlock." His lips tweak into a smile, but his eyes are colored with deep thought. We walk to the kitchen and take a few pieces of the warm, buttery bread in intimate silence.

Eventually I head back upstairs to check that I have everything packed and cleaned up before Ma and Pa drive us to the Orlando Airport, reminding Sherlock to reapply the paste and store it appropriately in the liquids bag for security screening.

My phone vibrates so I take it out and smile to see it's from Brooklyn- who's been catsitting Ziva.

This fuzzball is eager to be with you again, Red. -BA

Attached is a photo of Ziva moping, sprawled out in her carrier. I smile and text Brooklyn back. The Holiday was nice, but I can't wait to be back in England. Sherlock definitely can't wait to solve cases again. The thought makes me chuckle and I gather my stuff. One last look around the bedroom and the bathroom to make sure, and then I haul everything downstairs. Sherlock has his things gathered already.

Within two hours we're hopping out of the car at the airport and rushing to unload the luggage from the SUV. I lose track of Sherlock for a minute, in the noise and bustle of the many vehicles and people moving around the drop off point. But he's suddenly in front of me again, and the moment of panic recedes. I kiss Ma and Pa on the cheeks and bid them farewell before grabbing the baggage and almost running to the curb. Once we're inside I smile, "Ready to go back to 221B Baker Street, darling?"

"Of course I am. I'm needed for a multitude of cases. Are you ready, Love?" His voice is higher and brighter than normal, and when I look up at him his eyes almost sparkle.

"Yes, Sherlock. I'm happy to get back to 221B." He smiles and we take off, almost racing to print off our tickets and get through security.

Thank you for reading!!