Susanna's Birthday

November 24

"Good morning, Sherlock." Thalia greeted as Sherlock walked into the kitchen at six AM. Unlike the previous mornings, almost all of the family was up and moving in the kitchen- prepping for the Thanksgiving meal.

The brunette gazed around the bustling room, "Good morning. Is Susanna not up yet?"

"Nope! Susie's the birthday girl and is normally up helping. So she gets to sleep in as long as she likes," The matriarch replied and looked at the stove clock, "At the very latest she'll wake up around eight."

Sherlock nodded, looking around the kitchen. Thalia was kneading out bread dough, Marcia was whipping up a concoction of green beans and french onions, and in the formal dining room the twins were setting the long table. Through the kitchen window he could see Neil and George standing by the Big Green Egg Grill, "Is there anything I might help with?" He offered, intrigued by the level of familial cooperation he was witnessing.

"I don't think so... Besides, you're our guest. You could go outside and talk with the menfolk if you'd like. They might have something you could help with."

"Very well." Thalia smiled and Sherlock exited the house. Neil and George were cracking jokes and sharing Marine stories when he approached.

"Morning, Sherlock."

"Good morning, Neil, General Markwardt," He greeted in return. The scent of applewood smoke, fire, and turkey had begun to radiate from the grill. Even Sherlock, notorious for his small appetite, found the smell quite tempting, "You always grill the Turkey?" George nodded and obliged to share some basics of grilling and barbecuing with the detective. He mentally cataloged everything for future reference- he might require the information on a case.

Around seven thirty he went back inside to inform Thalia of the Turkey's status and check on Susanna. Since he had persuaded her to let him take on another homicide case and they had been out almost all night hunting for the suspect, he understood that his lover would require extra rest. It had, after all, ended with a high speed car chase that spiked her adrenaline and left her exhausted.

Sherlock slipped out of the kitchen and into the blue bedroom. He unzipped his main suitcase and extracted his violin case. The brunette had composed a piece for his peach blonde partner. It had taken him months, of course, because she wasn't a typical muse for him to draw inspiration.

Many of his own compositions were slow and classical, often bordering on melancholy. Key points- the waltz he composed for John and Mary or the lament for Irene. Sherlock couldn't create Susanna's song in the same manner.

Hers was a bright, spritely Foxtrot; keyed in major and emphatic. He had spent weeks refining the melody so that it could be played at different tempos or in different keys, without sacrificing its ultimate emotive value.

Sherlock picked up his violin and tuned it, then warmed up quietly. It was seven fifty when he heard familiar footsteps descending the stairs. Susanna.

He poked his head out of the room and saw her all dolled up and exuding excitement. Her hair was in a french braid and she wore a magenta jumper, dark denim jeans, autumn leaf socks, pumpkin drop earrings and her locket. She'd done her makeup and put on dark red lipstick too. Sherlock cleared his throat, "Susanna." She turned and beamed, walking over.

"Good Morning, Sherlock. Ready for Thanksgiving with the Markwardts?" He gave a coy smile and planted a firm kiss on her forehead.

"Happy Birthday, Love." She blushed softly.

"Aww, Thank you, Sherlock!" He revealed his violin and Susanna flushed, "I thought you didn't want to bring it on the plane?"

"Well it's a critical component to your birthday gift." He explained.

"Really?"

"Yes." She tilted her head adorably.

"I didn't think you'd be interested in celebrating birthdays, Darling."

"You're the exception, Love. Don't tell anyone else." Sherlock whispered. She smiled and he kissed her on the lips this time.

"I won't tell." This garnered a smile and he hugged her with one arm. She gave him a bear hug in return.

"Shall I play for you now, Love?" He asked after a few seconds. She nodded, humming softly, "Come, then." They went into the living room and he had her sit down on the sofa. A few minor adjustments, and then he started to play.

It took her only a few seconds to recognize that it was a Foxtrot. Her face, if it could, brightened even more and she grinned. Sherlock smiled, relieved that she liked his gift to her, and played with more fervor. In a few minutes the sounds from the kitchen subsided; her family heard and came to see where the music was coming from. Sherlock paid them little attention. He was playing for her, not them.

When he finished, Susanna was blushing and grinning brightly. She clasped her hands together and got up to embrace him, "Thank you, Sherlock. That was beautiful." She whispered. Sherlock gave her another one armed hug and was slightly unnerved when he realized that her family was clapping.

"She didn't say that you were such a masterful violinist!" Thalia exclaimed. Sherlock suddenly felt shy and his darling sensed this, flying into action.

"Yes, he is," She kissed him on the cheek that wasn't facing their audience and left a light imprint that immediately spiked his oxytocin. He blushed light pink as she turned to face the family, "I'm really sorry for oversleeping. I know I was supposed to help with the Turkey this year-"

This threw them off of Sherlock, for which he was grateful. Susanna was whisked back to the sofa as the "Happy Birthdays" and assorted wishes ensued. Gifts seemed to appear out of thin air and Sherlock obliged the family by playing "Happy Birthday" while they sang to her. The embarrassed flush on her face was worth it.

Thalia then grabbed Susanna and pulled her back upstairs for something. The rest of the family dispersed, except for George. Sherlock stood stiffly and locked eyes with him, "Is there an issue, General Markwardt?"

Thank you for reading!