Patterns in Fire

May

Lestrade scratched his head and puffed, "I thought there was only one arsonist to worry about. And he took himself out!"

"So did I, Lestrade, but there's no use in to criticising ourselves over it. Samuel Curtin obviously had a partner or partners, by the looks of it." Sherlock replied.

"So how do we catch them? They know we got their partner, or accomplice, so they'll be on the alert." John asked.

"They don't care that he blasted himself apart, otherwise we wouldn't have five new cases of arson that are clearly connected to Curtin. No, they're doing just fine without him-"

"Stop moving so I can get the correct measurements, Sherlock. Or I will stick you with a pin." Thomas chided.

"In front of two witnesses?" Sherlock challenged, "Ouch!" Thomas tutted, putting away the pin as Lestrade and John snickered. Mycroft only rolled his eyes, having provided his measurements already.

"I warned you." Sherlock gave up and stilled so that his future brother in law could finish up with him and hopefully stick Lestrade instead.

Thomas had insisted that he make the tuxedos for the wedding, and honestly Sherlock would have asked anyway. He had hated having to rent the tailsuits for John's wedding and appreciated Thomas's contributions to fashion.

"Okay, you're done. Greg?" Sherlock blew out a breath and picked up Thomas's designs for his and John's tuxedos. Mycroft stood up and walked over to look as well.

"Has Susanna started searching for her dress?" The british government enquired. Sherlock nodded.

"She's taken Brooklyn, Molly, Rosie, her Stepmum and Missus Hudson to a few different bridal stores and I have contributed my own preferences. The bridesmaid and groomswoman dresses have already been decided upon."

"Good. Good..," Mycroft cleared his throat, "It is good to see that you have almost fully recovered from that explosion, brother mine."

"I deduce only a couple more weeks of swelling and redness."

"Three." Sherlock gave his brother a look.

"Two and a half."

"Three."

"Whatever."

Thomas quickly finished up taking their measurements and then presented his designs for the groomsmen tuxes. Sherlock pocketed the designs to show to Susanna later. After bidding adieu Mycroft disappeared, Thomas started on materials and the rest of them headed to the site of the most recent arson.

The flat of a Genetics Professor had been targeted this time. She had been very lucky to have gotten herself and her two grandchildren out safely before the unit burst aflame. Lestrade approached the family and spoke to them while Sherlock and John went up for a look.

"Have you noticed a pattern, John?"

"In what, besides the MO?"

"The Arsonists are targeting scientific scholars- Professors and Researchers."

"Revenge?"

"Or a grudge against scientists, but I'll take a gamble with revenge." Sherlock tsked as he whipped out his magnifying glass and started studying the blackened, charred remains of the flat.

"Someone with knowledge of explosives and incendiaries. Obviously no regard for collateral damage." John remarked. He took this particular arson personally because the two grandchildren were little older than Rosie.

"And yet, the arsonists are clever. They are calculating and precise," Sherlock deduced, "They plan and they execute to the letter, John."

"They certainly don't seem very pleasant."

"Indeed."

Sherlock finished examining the area and then took a few samples before they left. This string of arson was one of the most difficult cases that he'd had in a long while. It seemed to get more interesting by the day, a big plus for him, and thus the game was ever more rewarding, "Come, John, we must use Molly's lab."

"To analyze the samples?"

"Yes. Now that there are five sample sites, I should be able to get an accurate result when I look for signature components used to ignite the fires."

"Of course."

"While I analyze the samples I would like you to find the connections between the victims."

"Alright, then."

"Possibly a mutual student, or they all shared a colleague whom felt rebuffed."

"Alright, Sherlock."

"Good day, Gary," Sherlock bade as he strolled past to get a taxi. John managed to give his condolences to the victims before hurrying after his long legged friend. They piled into the taxi and headed for St. Bart's. Getting a text alert, the detective pulled out his phone, "We should have the analyses done before five thirty."

"Mm?"

"Susanna and I have an appointment to select our wedding bands at six o'clock, followed by a reservation at Ritz's. The analyses should be completed by five thirty, allowing ample time to get to the Jewellers-"

"Alright, alright, Sherlock, I get it!" John chuckled. He was just happy that his best mate was so enthused about getting married after years of rejecting sentiment.

Molly met them in her lab and helped out with the samples while they all discussed the wedding. The pathologist had almost fainted when Sherlock had asked her to be his groomswoman, but she'd agreed and was very excited to fill such a significant role for him and Susanna.

John took Molly aside to discuss a few ideas for Sherlock's Stag Night. They'd both, as well as Sherlock, nixed the idea of drinking due to how badly John's Stag Night had gone and because the curly brunette had adopted his fianceé's tee-totalling policies. If there was a drop of liquor in 221B, it was John's. And even then Susanna had, without doing anything except stand her ground on her beliefs, influenced John to drink less.

So the two tossed up a few ideas, like having Mycroft help set up a nice case for them all to solve together or taking him out of town for a weekend. When they returned to Sherlock, he was getting ready to meet Susanna for their appointment, "You going, Sherlock?"

"Yes. The analyses did turn up a few common chemical signatures. I've let Lestrade know what they are so that they can pinpoint the source. John?"

"Besides the fact that they all taught at the same University and were scientists, I haven't found much of a connection otherwise. Yet." Sherlock nodded.

"Very well, then. I'm off to meet Susanna."

"Have a good night!" Molly bade.

"Always."

Thank you for reading!