Steps

Susanna led her slightly overwhelmed lover to the sturdy purple porch swing and sat down, motioning for him to do the same. He complied and sat on her right side. She smiled and snuggled up to him, resting her head over his heart and slipping her arms around his torso. The detective gave a calm sigh as his arm draped around her and he took her hands in his, "I have deduced that General Markwardt is going to require the most effort."

"More than my Dad?"

"I got his approval a long time ago. Not his blessing, but he approves of me."

"You'll have to earn my family's blessing on our relationship, but I know you can do it. I'm more worried about attaining Mycroft's approval and blessing."

"Why would you want his?" His mind simultaneously flitted to his sister.

"I think it's important to have support from as many relatives are possible, especially parents and siblings. Your parents have given their approval and support. Mycroft's trickier."

"I'm sure he'll come around soon." Several minutes passed.

"Sherlock?"

"Mm?"

"I've been negotiating with the sheriff's department here. They have a serial killer case that's suddenly gone cold. Seems right up your alley."

"When?"

"Preferably the day after tomorrow. Pa's retirement ceremony is tomorrow afternoon, followed by his retirement party here. Neil, my eldest brother, and Mitchell, my younger stepbrother by Pa, are going to arrive here with their families."

"The Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant and the Deputy, correct?"

"Yep. Neil and his family will be staying till the day after Thanksgiving but Mitchell and his wife will leave after the party."

"And at the party there will be many other relatives and a multitude of friends and colleagues." Sherlock added.

"Yes. I know that you hate crowds and that you're not much of a people person, but-"

"I can handle criminals and my own family on a day to day basis. I should be able to endure a party."

"For not having experience with large families, you're doing very well with mine." She smiled, laying her head over his heart and closing her eyes.

"I want to them to approve of our courtship and of me."

"They will, don't worry. Most of them, anyway, but the one's who won't aren't nearly as important to me as my immediate family."

"Your exes. How did your family see them?"

"Most of them, they approved of. Only one got their blessing but..."

"But what?"

"His family did not approve of how serious we'd become and I came to realize that we were not meant for each other, so I broke it off with him. It was for the best, though. He's happily married now with two kids and I've got you, darling."

Sherlock was quiet. If Susanna had stayed with her ex, she might have been married and have her own family. They would never have met, "I'm very lucky that you didn't stay with him, because I couldn't see myself happy with any other woman."

"Oh, Sherlock, you probably would have found a woman sooner or later who'd catch your eye. Like Irene," Susanna crooned, "But I am lucky to be courting you; the brilliant detective."

Sherlock's left hand released Susanna's and it slowly trailed upwards. He tenderly cradled the back of her head and tilted it so that he could plant a kiss on her lips. She returned it and after a few moments, they broke apart. He lowered his voice, "I love you, Susanna."

"I love you more."

"Impossible. I love you the most." Susanna giggled and curled back up against him. His hand stayed against her head, barely resting upon her silky hair. Like her throat, her hair was a sensitive place. Brent had used it to restrain and torture her over six months before. Thus, Sherlock rarely touched her hair or the back of her head. He'd never, ever, played with her hair, but he'd had impulses before and he felt a strong desire to do so now. His fingers twitched a bit over her peach gold hair, now held back in a simple braid.

"You're thinking, Sherlock," She hummed, "As long as you don't pull out the braid or tug too hard, Sherlock, go ahead. I won't mind."

It was another step. Sherlock smiled and slid his fingers down the length of her braid until he found the tip. His fingers pinched gently around it, "Have I told you that when your hair is braided, the tip resembles a curled paintbrush?"

She chuckled, "No, you haven't. But I suppose that it's accurate."

"Mm." He played with the end of her braid silently until Thalia called them to dinner. Susanna opened her eyes and sat up.

"Come on, darling." He let her get up first and then stood. He bent down and they shared another kiss.

"Thank you, Susanna."

"You're welcome."

Dinner went smoothly, with Sherlock taking on George and the twins while Susanna talked with Thalia. About halfway through Sherlock was able to relax his stiff posture and settle back into the chair. Susanna noticed this and gave his hand a quick squeeze. He's doing wonderfully.

Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment below!