The Luncheon {Susanna}

October 3rd

"Relax, Sherlock, everything's going to be fine!" I soothe my antsy fiancé as he taps his foot anxiously. We're waiting at my Dad's suburban mansion for the arrival of our families and the rest of the bridal party. To introduce everyone to each other before the rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, and wedding, we arranged this small luncheon. Now Sherlock is so nervous about how our families and friends will behave I can't get him to stay still.

"Mycroft will ruin this-"

"Sherlock, he won't. If he did he'd have to deal with me."

"But-"

"Sherlock, it'll be fine. I promise."

"... Fine."

"Better."

I squeeze his hand three times and he responds in kind. Within ten minutes, everyone begins to arrive. First John and Rosie, then Brooklyn, Molly, Lestrade, and Thomas. We show them into the parlor as Sherlock's family arrives. Missus Holmes, or Violet as she insists, hugs me tightly and gushes about how fantastically happy she and Mark are that Sherlock is marrying me. Mycroft extends his fairest greetings and stands in the corner to observe. Paul and my stepmum Marigold are quick to descend from upstairs and join the ruckus, interacting amicably with everyone.

Finally the cars pull up with my family and bridesmaids- Leilani Kaiwi and Nikole Garza. I give Sherlock a reassuring hug before they approach.

Or rather run and tackle me with hugs, "Susanna!"

"Nikki! Leilani!" We kiss each other's cheeks and Sherlock steps back as we talk about their flight and whatever else before they turn their attention to him, "Ladies, meet Sherlock. Sherlock, these are Leilani and Nikole."

"Greetings, Ladies. I trust you traveled safely." Sherlock extends his hand politely. I almost laugh when Nikole and Leilani almost melt- they're suckers for accents. When they don't immediately respond he looks at me for help and I nudge the two out of their daze.

"We did! It was a wonderful flight over, actually. It's a pleasure to meet you at last, Sherlock." Leilani replies.

"So you're actually a detective? The Sherlock Holmes?"

"As far as I know it is a singular name. Yes, I am the world's only consulting detective."

"Well we're both very excited for you and Susanna. You've found a loyal and loving companion in her."

"I am well aware she is a magnificent woman. Otherwise I wouldn't be marrying her." Leilani and Nikole giggle and head inside, leaving us to the others.

Ma sweeps me into a hug, "I've been waiting years to see you looking so happy, Susie!"

"It's wonderful, isn't it?" She nods and kisses my cheeks before moving onto Sherlock. My nieces and nephew come up and tackle me next, so I greet them before hugging and greeting the rest of the family.

Finally we all make our way inside. Sherlock and I link arms while I call everybody's attention, "Welcome, everyone, to our Introduction Luncheon. Now that all of us are here, I would like to thank you all for making time in your schedules to come and share this special time with us."

"We are honored to have the better part of you involved in our wedding. This is one of the most important events in our lives and we are grateful for your guidance and assistance," Sherlock adds, "We have planned this luncheon to allow you all to meet and converse with one another, to foster goodwill and cooperation between all parties. So without further adieu, the meal has been set out in the dining room, buffet style."

We lead the group to the chamber and stand back to observe the interactions. John seems to get on rather well with Nikole, probably because she's a dentist, and Neil because of their shared military experience. All three sets of parents congregate in a corner to acquaint themselves with each other. As I'm filling a small plate with food I notice that the youngest of the throng, Isla and Rosie, have made fast friends.

I lean against Sherlock, "This was a great idea, Darling."

"It certainly seems to have worked out."

I chuckle, "I told you it would."

His arm drapes around my waist and he pulls me a tiny bit closer to him as a few of the others start approaching us. Sherlock does a great job conversing with them about the wedding and a few of our plans, but doesn't let me move very far from him. I don't mind of course since we should be handling these questions together.

Eventually Mycroft walks over, "It appears that the parents are getting along well."

"I had a strong feeling that they would." I reply.

"It will be interesting to see how well this cooperation lasts."

"Mycroft." Sherlock warns.

"Try and focus on the positives, Mycroft. We don't need any more stress than what we already have." I suggest.

Mycroft smiles a little, "You're terribly optimistic. It will be refreshing to have that in the family."

"I try to be as realistic as possible, Mycroft."

"As long as you and John keep Sherlock grounded, I will be grateful."

Sherlock and I exchange smiles, "She already does more than keep me grounded, Mycroft."

"Which is why I approved of you."

I gape. Sherlock told me that Mycroft had finally given his blessing but until now, the Iceman never told me personally, "I'm glad to hear that, Mycroft."

He nods and then looks around the room, "I do have a question about the wedding proceedings."

"Alright. Go on."

"Have you decided who the groomsmen will be paired with or will that be decided later?"

I stifle a laugh and Sherlock answers, "We decided to pair you up with Leilani. However we can change it if that is uncomfortable to you."

"No, I do believe that will be fine."

"Alright then. Have you conversed with her at all?"

"Only a few words."

"She's not talking to anyone right now. Maybe you could go chat with her now?" Mycroft gives me a look, followed by a nod. I grin as he approaches my friend and engages her, albeit somewhat awkwardly.

Sherlock hums, "I do believe that the Iceman may be warming up to others."

"Indeed."

Thank you for reading!!