Two

When Susanna didn't respond to his texts, Sherlock knew that the new medication had caused her heavy fatigue and so dismissed his initial concern. He had his homeless network watching Ainsworth Rise, after all, and it would be quite difficult to get past Zella.

"She's still not texting back?"

"No but she was quite fatigued. It is possible she fell asleep shortly after I dropped her off."

"Okay then. Well, any ideas about who our arsonist is?" John asked as they marched down Baker Street, looking for even the faintest of clues.

"A few."

"And?"

"There are far too many enemies at the moment to narrow it down."

"Sherlock-"

"In addition, it could be a relative or a friend of an enemy or criminal who wants to get even with me, so to speak. That further complicates the case."

"But who would also target scientific minds?"

"That is where the two or more arsonists comes in, John."

"Oh," The doctor got the hint, "So the arsonists tried to throw us off before blowing up the flat?"

"Precisely."

"I see."

Sherlock suddenly stopped to spin around, "If they were watching us, they would have needed a vantage point like this. Precisely here, John, and would have used binoculars to see in."

"So..?"

"They're smart, John. They know what they came here to do and they know how to do it."

"Any more clues?"

"Given the amount of scuffing right here on the curb, they frequented this spot before popping over to the cafe. They walked rather than take a taxi."

"So we need to go to the cafe now?"

"You will. I need to continue examining the street."

"Alright then."

John crossed the street and entered the cafe, knowing that Sherlock would most likely vanish by the time he was finished asking around. Luckily though he did get a consensus of descriptions for two people, one man and one woman, who fit their criteria for the arsonists.

John rushed back out and saw Sherlock talking with Lestrade, who was still there with the clean up teams. When the detective noticed John hurrying up he almost smiled, "From your pace I deduce that you bring good information. What did you glean from the cafe?"

"One man and one woman. Always clothed in black or at least in dark colors. Claimed they were out to take pictures of the townhouse architecture in London and even had binoculars and cameras. The man, a pale blonde with gray eyes, was your height and the woman had colored red hair and tanned skin with brown eyes. She was a little taller than me. Came every day, though never together," John took a breath, "The names they used were Jay, for the man, and Alex, for the woman."

"Get that Lestrade?"

"Yes, I got it." Lestrade had written everything down, so he passed the info along. Sherlock informed his network of the same and texted Susanna again.

"So what do we do now, Sherlock?"

"Did they tell you what they normally ordered, John?"

"Oh, yes, they said the man, Jay, ordered strong, hot black coffee and the woman, Alex, got a double shot of espresso."

"Particular brew?"

"He did say that they seemed to inhale their drinks, but other than that nothing else about the drinks."

Sherlock sent out the added info and looked around the area once more. He lifted his mobile up again and frowned, "John, she still isn't answering."

"You just said she could be sleeping. And you've got your network watching the place."

"Even so, it wouldn't do any harm to go and check back on her. The prescription wasn't settling with her and I want to make sure her condition didn't worsen."

"Understood."

"Tell her I still need her statement by the way, Sherlock. Whenever she's available to come down to the Yard, no hurry." Lestrade added.

"Of course, Gavin. Come along, John."

"See you." John bade and the duo flagged a taxi. It was a quiet ride to Ainsworth Rise, given that Sherlock was texting and using his phone to research who knows what. John simply watched out the window, strangely calm despite what had happened that day.

They quickly made their way to unit forty eight and Sherlock rapped a few times, checking the door and around the alcove for signs of any break in. Nothing set him off, although when Susanna didn't answer he grew concerned. The detective extracted his key and they entered.

The flat was eerily silent, and Ziva came running from the hallway to greet them, meowing loudly. Sherlock looked to the kitchen and found that the food and water dishes were in fact empty- almost completely clean even, "She wouldn't forget to feed and water Ziva, John." He quickly completed the task and hurried to the bedroom and bathroom.

John felt a pang and followed his friend down the corridor, grimacing when the brunette threw open the doors to the guest room, bathroom and finally the closet and utility room, "Sherlock..."

Sherlock eased open Susanna's bedroom door and froze, an expression of worry, panic and anger suddenly arising, "John..!"

"Is she..?"

"Susanna has been kidnapped," Sherlock ground out, "And her abductors left a note."

Thank you for reading!!