Critical Matters {Susanna}

"Should I go upstairs then?" I ask. Mycroft and Sherlock both shake their heads.

"No. This involves you too, Susanna. If I had wanted you to leave I would have told you to," Mycroft explains sharply, "I presume that Rosie is asleep?"

"She is. I just put her down for her nap."

He nods, "Excellent." He walks to John's chair and sits down across from me, twirling his umbrella. I look up at Sherlock. His eyes have turned a steely gray and while he looks rather upset with his elder brother, anxiety exudes from him. Panic in his eyes and in his breath. I narrow my own eyes. What is going on? Nothing lightly taken. This is serious.

I stand up and motion for Sherlock to take a seat. He normally calms down when he can hold onto me. He reluctantly complies and sits down in his chair with a huff. I perch on the arm, laying my legs over his. His hand immediately rests on my knees, applying a slight bit of pressure that says Don't Leave Me.

"There," I look at Mycroft again, "Now, what have you come to discuss, Mycroft? Rosie normally sleeps for an hour so you've got forty five minutes."

The British Government inhales and straightens up, "Sherlock has kept me apprised as to the development of your relationship. And seeing as your Holiday in Florida resulted in success with your relatives, it is time for the next test of your relationship."

Sherlock presses more firmly against my knees and I reach out, placing my hand on his shoulder to reassure him, "Mycroft, I meant for us as brothers to discuss it before I took the issue to Susanna." He hisses.

"Well I've only sped up the process then, have I?" Mycroft retorts. I purse my lips.

"Okay, what is going on?" I ask.

"Shall I tell her or will you, brother mine?"

"I will, Blood."

I internally prepare myself for the worst, "Sherlock..?"

"I called Mycroft because we have reached the point in our courtship where I feel that it is now necessary to... reveal a few truths that I have kept hidden."

"Okay... what?"

"My full name is William Sherlock Scott Holmes." Sherlock stiffens whilst Mycroft glowers. Obviously Sherlock's full name is not the most critical topic of discussion.

I nod, "Alright. Go on, darling."

"Or I shall, brother mine." Mycroft threatens. I give him a heated glare.

"Mycroft, I will hear it from Sherlock and not you. If he misses anything I am sure that you will fill in the gaps," He shifts uncomfortably in the chair, unable to weather my glare. I turn to Sherlock again, "... Sherlock?"

He inhales and looks up at me, "Mycroft and I... are not the only Holmes children."

"A secret sibling?" I probe. He nods, "Who, then?"

"Our younger sister. Eurus Holmes." Mycroft cuts in impatiently.

"Somehow I'm not surprised you two have a sister. But why have you kept her secret?" I say, trying to lighten the mood.

"Out of the three of us, Eurus is the most intelligent. She is a true genius, capable of reprogramming others and predicting the exact dates of future events."

"Like... brainwash them?" Sherlock nods once.

"Yes." He replies.

"That still doesn't explain why you've kept her secret. You two marvel in your own intellectual abilities and make no effort to hide them from others."

"When we were young, she..," Sherlock takes a deep breath and I squeeze his shoulder. He trembles the slightest bit, "I neglected her and in retaliation, she killed my childhood friend and later burned down our family home." I frown, gently rubbing his shoulder. Mycroft intercepts the conversation again.

"She is mentally unstable, shall we say? Since she burned down Musgrave Hall our family sent her to an institution. And again she set fire to that. Sherlock completely rewrote his memories and I took it upon myself to place her in the highest security institution for his benefit. Our parents believed she was killed in the fire and Sherlock blocked his memory of Eurus and Victor Trevor, whom he transformed into Redbeard, the dog our family never had."

"In short, Eurus reprogrammed all of the staff at Sherrinford, where she is kept away from virtually all human contact, and got out. She came to London and stirred up trouble, including acting as John's therapist and impersonating Faith Smith. When we made it to Sherrinford she had turned everyone into pawns and forced us to play her game until I solved the final problem." Sherlock finishes. His body is shaking slightly and my heart aches for him.

"John is the only other person who knows about Eurus, to save you the effort of asking." Mycroft states.

"So your sister, Eurus, has been institutionalized for almost all of her life because she is smarter than you?" I ask Mycroft.

"People were murdered because of her."

"She is no longer dangerous, Mycroft!" Sherlock raises his voice, startling me, "And even if she was, I would still tell Susanna because she deserves to know."

"Indeed. As your potential mate, she does deserve to know." Mycroft replies. Before they can conflict further I speak up.

"When can I meet Eurus?"

Thank you for reading!