Piano {Susanna}

~November 19~

"Isla, Julia, no!" I hear my sister in law, Marcia, shout as two sets of tiny feet stampede into the living room where Ma and I have gathered for the evening; Sherlock chose to try his hand at air hockey against Rhett and Mason. Neil and Pa decided to join them, so the rec room is emitting loud noises of pucks flying around the room and men talking.

I flick my eyes away from the TV to watch my two nieces, ages two and five, scurry across the room. Julia launches herself into my lap, "Oof!!" Ma chuckles.

"Aunt ZuZu!" I smile empathetically at Marcia, who gives me a look of utter defeat. I motion for her to go back to bed and put my arms around the young girls, pulling little Isla up onto my lap.

"Hello, girlies." I greet and they giggle. Isla, the youngest, props herself on my leg and puts her hand up to my throat. Julia follows suit and I sigh.

"Why does Aunt ZuZu have a boo-boo on her neck?" She asks.

"Because a very bad man hurt me, Julia." I respond softly. She frowns.

"Does it huwt now?" She pokes against the scar. I shake my head and remove the girls' hands from my neck. I press short kisses to their noses and they burst into giggles.

"Nope! Aunt ZuZu is fine. Now, girls, why aren't you sleeping?" I ask softly.

"We cahn't sweep, Aunt ZuZu! TOO Loud!" Julia replies dramatically. Isla nods in agreement and I laugh.

"I know, they are being loud aren't they?" They nod intensely and Ma snickers. She is exceptionally happy that she is the Grandma now, and not in Marcia's place, "But you need to sleep."

"Could you pway something for us?" Julia asks.

"I can sing to you-"

"No! Play something!" Julia whines. I look at Ma, "Pwetty pwease!!"

"The Keyboard's in the office down the hall, still." She says and I sigh.

"Alright. I'll play a few songs for you and then straight to bed."

"Okay!" The girls grin toothlessly and scramble off of my lap. I get up and slowly follow them to the office.

My parents enrolled all of the kids in music lessons, starting with rigorous training on the Piano, at an early age. My Ma is far from musically talented but my Dad is and us kids inherited his gift for music. I'm the only singer though, so I've stuck with it despite the fact that I can play the piano, harp, and percussion. To varying degrees. I played percussion for Marching Band. My Dad's Mum forced me to learn the Harp. Actually, I think I took my knack for singing from Pa. My brothers, like me, are very modest and shy about our talents, so we don't talk about them and rarely display them for others.

I sit down on the bench in front of the keyboard, set Isla in my lap while Julia sits beside me, and turn it on, setting it appropriately, "What would you like me to play?"

"Disney!!" Isla chirps. I chuckle and stretch my fingers. Sherlock, forgive me for not telling you I can play.

"How about this one, then." I start playing Let it Go from Frozen. The girls start squealing with glee and the lyrics fall from their tongues, mish mashed and breathless. I play a little softer, hoping not to attract attention.

I finish the song and Ma assures me that the menfolk didn't notice, so I steel myself and decide to play louder. My fingers hover over the keys and then start plinking out the notes to Under The Sea from The Little Mermaid.

Ma leans against the door jam, smiling brightly. I allow a small smile and continue to play. At the end of the song I notice that Pa has joined Ma at the door. He gives me a look and I nod, "Okay, girls. Last one."

The tune I play next is True Love's Kiss from Enchanted, one of my favorite Disney movies. It's slow enough to coax my nieces into calming down and acknowledging their sleepiness.

I don't dare look at the door because I can feel his presence there. I can't quite feel his eyes, so he isn't in the doorway yet, but he's listening intently. I can only imagine what he'll say.

As I close out the song I take a deep breath and finish softly. I look at Ma who nods, gesturing Neil into the room to collect his daughters. I whisper good night to them and kiss their cheeks. Neil smiles warmly and kisses mine, "Thanks, Sue."

"Anytime." He carries out the girls and I hurriedly turn off the keyboard. Ma and Pa get the hint and I hear them usher the twins up to bed. I have to confront Sherlock now.

I turn off the office light and slowly step out of the room, closing the door behind me. Sure enough Sherlock is leaning against the wall at the end of the hallway.

"Sherlock-"

"You never cease to amaze me, Susanna."

"What?" My cheeks flush red.

"Your playing was superb, Love. Now I know why you tap and drum out rhythms with your fingers."

"You're not upset I didn't tell you?"

"No," He assures and I relax my shoulders. I walk across the hall to pass him, eager to get to bed. He holds out an arm and I halt, "Keep surprising me, Love."

"I'll try, darling." He smiles and bends down, capturing my lips with his.

Thank you for reading!!