Roles of Honor

A Few Weeks Later

Sherlock waited anxiously for John to get back from surgery. Susanna, who noticed his stiff posture, sighed, "Sherlock, don't worry. I know he'll say yes."

"After all I've put him through, he still might not agree." Sherlock countered.

"Darling, he's still your best friend after all you've put him through. He won't say no."

"And let him tease me during his speech?" He tried to backtrack his earlier decision.

"Sherlock, Brooklyn's going to tease me and I fear her teasing will be way worse than what John could do to you. Despite everything that you two have been through, you're best friends. Don't you see how much he loves you?"

"Of course I do."

"Then why are you so worried he'll say no to being your best man, Sherlock?"

"Because there is still the slightest chance that he might." Sherlock answered and took a deep breath, tapping his fingers against the armrest.

Susanna tsked, "I don't see why he would refuse to be your best man."

"Didn't you have issues asking Brooklyn to be the maid of honor?"

"No. We agreed to be each other's maids of honor back in high school."

The front door opened and Sherlock knew instantly it was John. Susanna gave him a look of encouragement from the sofa as the doctor walked in, "Hello, John." Sherlock greeted.

"Hello," The doctor took off his jacket and walked in, "You two are quiet."

Susanna nodded her head in John's direction, urging Sherlock to ask. The detective waited until his best friend was sitting down before clearing his throat and standing up, "John."

"Yes?"

"I admit that I used to believe I would never ask this of you, but I have a critical question for you."

Susanna knew immediately that John had already guessed, but Sherlock was so guarded at the moment he didn't see the look of recognition in the army doctor's eyes, "Okay, what is it then, Sherlock?"

"I know that after all I have put you through in past several years, there is more than enough reason for you to refuse. But I am asking you to serve as my best man, to stand with me on the most important day of my life, John."

John was pleasantly surprised that Sherlock didn't bluntly say "You're going to be my best man" or "I want you to be my best man". The request was as sincere as Sherlock could make it. He was silent for a few seconds before he smiled and nodded, "Yes of course, mate. Of course I'll be honored to be your best man." Sherlock relaxed his shoulders and smiled a little. Susanna just grinned.

"Thank you, John-" The army doctor stood up and drew Sherlock in for a hug. It took a second but the brunette slowly returned the gesture.

"I'm so going to repay you for the speech you gave at my wedding, Sherlock." John said mockingly as he released his best friend.

"What, is there going to be another murder of a guest to prevent?"

"I should hope not," Susanna chimed in and stood, walking over to join them, "We have another question for you, though."

"Oh? Go on." Susanna gazed up at Sherlock for a second before smiling.

"Sherlock and I have talked about it and we wanted to ask if you would permit Rosie be a flower girl."

This surprised John more. He gaped, "But don't you have nieces of your own-?"

"I thought that Rosie and Isla could do it together. Julia and Maia are older so I might have them help in another way," Susanna explained, "So..?"

John smiled and nodded, "Sure, Rosie can be your flower girl." Susanna beamed and gave him a brief hug.

"Thank you, John!"

"So, have you got everyone else all picked?"

"Brooklyn is her maid of honor, and Susanna wants to have her nephew Armando be the ring bearer. We've discussed having Julia and Maia as pages. Susanna has a few people in mind for bridesmaids but I am at a loss for groomsmen." Sherlock elaborated.

Susanna piped up, "I might have a solution though."

"Oh?"

"You didn't say so earlier." Sherlock remarked, looking down at her. She shrugged her shoulders.

"I was focused on keeping you calm so that you could ask John to be the best man."

"Touché."

"What is the solution?" John asked.

"He doesn't technically need to have groomsmen, only. He could have a groomswoman too?"

"Molly Hooper!" John quickly caught on. Sherlock considered.

"She is a close friend. I doubt she'd refuse."

"Okay, then who else might you ask?" John asked.

"Lestrade... And perhaps Mycroft."

"I thought you didn't want-" John began and Sherlock raised his hand.

"He has offered."

"Really?"

"Yes." John decided not to ask further about Mycroft's involvement.

"Three is a good number," Susanna commented, "And instead of three bridesmaids I can have two, plus a bridesman."

"Who would be..?" Sherlock asked.

"Thomas."

"Very well, then, it looks like you've only got the ushers and the officiant to worry about." John stated. Sherlock smiled with satisfaction and Susanna beamed brighter, looking up at her fiancé.

"I told you we'd sort it out, darling."

"Indeed you did."

Thank you for reading!!