DON'T NO 10: Pointless Plot Twists

This chapter is kinda generalized and not specific to only HP fanfiction.

Plot twists are great when used properly and can make a story interesting. Whenever the story seems to lack luster, a good plot twist is sure to set it back on track.

But what authors should avoid is... Pointless Plot twists.

Consider that you're reading a fanfic in which everything is going great. The protagonist has achieved his/her goal, the antagonist got the treats he/she deserved and there is a happily ever after. And now you're supposing that this is most likely the ending of a good story which you enjoyed.

But then... All of a sudden the author reveals that no, the antagonist hasn't died and is still back on the game with a much more powerful army or a greater trick hidden under his/her sleeve.

And from then on a repeat of the previous events takes place with a few modifications such that you eventually lose interest and are considering when to throw your phone/laptop out the window.

Now, today, I will share with you the reason authors write plot twists which are rather pointless and why they think that it is necessary.

Reasons:

1. The author doesn't believe in happy endings:

Yes, this is actually a thing here. Authors have this notion that tragedy is the best form of expression so no matter what the story is about, they will want to end it tragically. Hence, if everything starts to get too lighthearted, they insert a plot twist to regain their tragic atmosphere.

2.Mixed Feelings:

The author can't decide who is best for the protagonist to end up with. Like a marriage is arranged, the bride is walking down the aisle but all of a sudden the author is like Nooo, this is not how it should be! And hey presto! Let's use a plot twist over here.

Which usually happens to be the groom's secret ex turning up and crashing down the wedding or the groom running off or the bride running off or the bride suddenly realizing that she had feelings for the groom's brother, not him. 

3

3. Deviating Opinions:

So, the author can't decide what to do and posts a chapter asking the readers advice on what should be done/voting on what should be done. The readers usually give different comments and the author is at a loss again on whose opinion to concentrate. So, he/she decides to please everyone and first follows one opinion then adds a plot twist that would lead to the second opinion and so on and so on.

***

And tell you what, it is entirely pointless.

When writing a story, first decide clearly on what you want the story to be about, what you want to happen in it and what should be the most appropriate ending. Use plot twists, I am not asking you to stop doing that, but be clear on how many you need and exactly where you should place them.

Readers like to be surprised while reading a story but that doesn't mean they would like to get a shock after every two paragraphs. No. Nope. Never.

Nutshell Technique:

And now what I am sharing with you is a technique I use while writing stories. It has a few steps in which you kinda ask yourselves questions about this story you're writing about.

Remember, if you are not able to fill all the steps then that means your story is not yet ready to be told and you should give it some time to formulate fully.

Following are the steps.

STEP 1 - THE SET UP WANT:

In this step you decide how your story is going to start. You should also state the set up want of your protagonist. In simple words, the current desire/goal/target of your protagonist.

Authors tend to introduce the protagonist in the first chapter just so the readers could get a hang of his/her character. So it is best that you introduce your character as well as what your character wants.

The set up want is not usually the main objective of the protagonist. It could be anything such as a coffee, good grades or even a morning walk. Anything. You can use your own creativity from there.

STEP 2 - POINT OF NO RETURN:

In this step, the main character either gets the set up want or decides that it is quite important for him/her and has to achieve it in any way possible.

The consequences of getting the want is discussed in this part. Usually, the protagonist just gets his/her want. Just like that.

This however comes after the Act 1 of your story.

STEP 3 - THE CATCH:

This is usually simultaneous with the set up want. The protagonist got what he wanted but also get something he/she didn't want and has to deal with it.

This thing which was not wanted is the Catch and is very important for your story. Getting rid of the Catch is what should be done in the Act 2 of your story.

STEP 4 - THE FLAW:

The flaw is a basic flaw your character suffers from. It is also known as the knot. If your story is to have a happy ending then the protagonist will overcome the flaw in the end and if its a tragedy then he/she will try to overcome it but fail.

The whole story centers around this one flaw and the effort to overcome it.

STEP 5 - THE STRENGTH:

The strength is the complete opposite of the flaw and is something which the protagonist wishes to achieve at the end of the story or rather he/she will be fighting to achieve this virtue/quality throughout the chapters.

STEP 6 - THE CRISES:

Now this is the complete opposite of the Set up want. Such that the character wishes he/she never got what was wanted or want the complete opposite. It is also known as the lowest emotional point of the story.

STEP 7 - THE CLIMACTIC CHOICE:

It is where the climax comes into the picture. In this step the protagonist realizes his/her flaw and acts on overcoming it. He/she does not get the strength too soon but knows what to do and how to overcome the flaw. It is a step in the right direction.

STEP 8 - FINAL CHOICE:

And this is the finale of the story. In this step you decide what the final choice of the character would be. Will he/she get the strength or are doomed? It's up to you to decide.

***

And that's pretty much the whole technique. You can check any idea you have by following these steps and if the whole outline is completed then your story has the element in it for being published. If not then you may have to abandon it or work harder on it.

See you with the next chapter!