REVIEW NO 4

The book we are going to review today is Smoke And Mirrors by Zoella_B

Now first these are the basics.

Book Name: Smoke And Mirrors

Author's account name: Zoella_B

Main Characters: Deveena Fawley, Adara Black, the Golden Trio, the Weasleys and a few others.

Description:

As parents, we usually teach our children to speak the truth, show compassion to one another and always do the right thing.

Deveena Fawley learned to lie, to be closed off and to always put herself before others at the knees of her mother as naturally as a toddler learned to talk.

Not because her mother was morally wrong but rather due to their losses and the demands of the world. Her life was never easy.

Perhaps that's what led to her first kill at the tender age of thirteen.

Best friends with Adara Celeste Black -the daughter of a convicted mass murderer and the only person she truly has left, all Deveena wants to do is to start a whole new life with her said unbiological sister.

But she has to leave to Hogwarts for security reasons and also to fulfill her late godfather's wishes. Only she had no idea she was being lured into her own demise.

Chapter Count: 10 and ongoing.

***

Now let's get on with the review!

***

1. The Title:

I like the title because the words smoke and mirror represent two entirely different concepts. While smoke symbolizes lack of clarity, mirrors reflect what is in front of them. And as can see that the story is based on prophecies (mentioned in the prologue) the title seems to fit perfectly.

2. The Cover:

I love the cover. The way the girl's hair somewhat give an idea of smoke clouding around and the way the mirrors are depicted not only goes well with the title but also with the theme of the story. It is simple but conveys the meaning well.

3. Concept:

The story is based on Deveena Fawley, a witch who has moved to Britain from America, and Adara Black who's the daughter of Sirius Black. Deveena is a transfer from Ilvermorny and the story revolves around her stay in London with the Weasleys and also on her life at Hogwarts.

4. Review (includes Summary too):

The story starts in the summer break of 1994 when Harry has come to the Burrow in order to go to the Quidditch World Cup. Ron tells him that he has a guest over and that guest happens to be Deveena.

The fanfic proceeds to the Death Eater attack at the Quiddich World Cup and then over to when they all join Hogwarts.

What I think:

First off a thumbs up for the great description Zoella_B. Your description has enough elements to hook readers in and is overall very captivating.

Deveena's character is well written, that's for sure. The way the author has portrayed her nightmares and the effects her past has had on her personality is great. The dialogues are well thought out and give a light feel to the story even though I have an inkling that the main theme is darker.

I enjoyed reading about the funny conversations the characters had and also the way Deveena responds to each situation she is stuck in.

***

If you are looking for a story that shows the books from a different perspective and also has some great and entertaining additions then this is the book for you.

***

Zoella_B I had a great time reading Smoke and Mirrors. I believe that your fanfic can do a lot better with a few edits. Such as add more text at places where there are dialogues clumped together. Other than that I loved your book. The characterization is great and so is the foreshadowing and I can't wait to read more which I surely will after I complete all the reviews queued up for me.