* Setting Of The Fanfic

Another very important aspect of your fanfic is choosing it's setting. The setting of a fanfic is the time period of your story; the era it is based in to be precise.

In Harry Potter fanfics there are three main eras used by authors to set their fanfics in:

1. The Golden Trio Era

2. The Marauders Era

3. The Riddle Era

Apart from these three time periods there are many other eras you can use for your fanfic. Consider the examples below.

1. The Black Sisters' years at Hogwarts

2. Alastor Moody's Hogwarts years

3. Bill Weasley and Nymphadora Tonks' years at Hogwarts

4. Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald's days at Hogwarts and Durmstrang respectively

5. McGonagall's school years

And many many more.

Now that you are aware if these many eras you can adjust your fanfic, there's one most essential thing to know as well. Which is the theme of your fanfic.

The setting of your fanfic has a great impact on your story as well and basically influences the theme.

For example, consider the following eras and the theme of fanfic you can write set in these eras:

Darker Theme: If you want to write a story of a darker theme revolving around war or conspiracies, the best setting for your story can be either the Golden Trio Era, Marauders Era or the Riddle Era.

You want to write a story on pureblood supremacy? Riddle Era or soon after that.

A story on discrimination of other magical communities such as house elves, Squibs, gnomes, goblins etc? Marauders or Golden Trio Era. And if you want it to be entirely out of the blue, base it around Filius Flitwick's time at Hogwarts as a student (or in any other wizarding school if you prefer).

A story on Aurors and Order Missions? Marauders or Golden Trio Era.

A story on war that doesn't involve Voldemort? Dumbledore and Grindelwald Era.

Humor/Comic Relief: If you are looking for a theme that is humorous and revolves around the fun aspects, you can use the school days of the Marauders or the Middle eras like Bill and Charlie Weasley, Nymphadora Tonks' school days at Hogwarts.

Remember that dealing with a war or being certain of a war ahead is bound to have effects on all spheres of life and while the Marauders chose to make the best of their time by being humorous to the point of infinity, the most convenient setting for a hilarious fanfic free from all tensions and effects war is going to be the Middle Era which starts from after Voldy's demise at Godric Hollow and continues till the year Harry Potter starts Hogwarts.

Tragic Theme or Coming Of Age Stories: These type of stories (especially the coming of age ones) are normally classified under the New Adult genre. The best setting for such stories is post war.

Examples of Fanfics you can write in such a setting are:

George Weasley coping with his brother's loss. It is categorized under both tragic and coming of age theme.

The Golden Trio and other war survivors healing from the wounds they have received from the second wizarding war. Same as above.

Oliver Wood seeking a career in International Quidditch. Definitely a new adult fiction.

And many many others which can involve the next gen characters as well (Teddy, Albus, Scorpius, Rose, Victoire etc).

For instance, the current fanfic I'm working on Lupus Conjectura is best classified in this category because it deals with war, is based more on post war events and involves major character development.

Such stories are considered hard to write by many but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try because such stories also turn out to be different and simply the best.

***

These are just a few themes that I used to give you a certain idea of what I'm talking about. There are many more themes in literature than this and once I get back on my laptop, I'll definitely add them in on here.

Hope this chapter was helpful. And I hope all the labor of me struggling at writing on the phone pays off.

See you soon after Eid with more chapters in the Writing Tips section.

I do have a lot of tips and tricks searched out and planned to share with you all. Just waiting for life to settle back to normal before I can start updating more frequently.