* Write What You Know

Of course I had to start with the most famous tip given to writers: Write what you know.

All of us have heard and read this tip in guidebooks, in writing posts and from many professional writers as well. And though I understand that it is very important to write what you know, because then you have a command over what you are writing and can address the topic properly. But it also limits your writing to a few select regions and stops you from exploring out of your comfort zone.

But we will be discussing this step by step.

So first of all let's start with a very basic question.

What do you know?

You know what you experience so basically the environment you live in, the events you have gone through in life, the area or country you belong to, the profession you work in and the hobbies you have are all examples of what you know. 

And of course since you know and experience all these aspects of life firsthand, you are aware of the ups and downs, the merits and demerits, the characteristics and qualities of these things. 

If you are a doctor you know very well about the environment of a hospital, of the procedures that happen there, the basic dealing methods with patients etc. If you are a student, you know about your educational system and you know about the school you study in, the subjects you take up and all other factors associated with what you experience daily.

And since you know the environment you are living in or the subjects you are studying/teaching very well then obviously you attain a certain command over it. You can explain it in detail to your fellows and you can convey it easily.

That is why many people give the advice to write what you know because when you have experienced it first hand and know the topic you are writing about, then it is easier for you to explain and elaborate it. Furthermore, you won't be in danger of giving misinformation and to summarize, if you write what you know then not only is it easier for you but also for your readers to grasp what you are trying to convey through your words.

For example, I am studying architecture and my second year is near completion which means that after the next three years I will hopefully get my Bachelors degree. For me writing about buildings, other construction elements and landscapes has always been very natural because I am 24/7 in an environment that focuses on that (yes I wrote 24/7 because when you're a university student studying a course that is as extensive as this one, it occupies each second of your day).

So of course I prefer explaining the settings in my stories much more as compared to explaining other aspects. If I am writing a Harry Potter fanfic, you would find me starting a scene by focusing on the spires of Hogwarts Castle. If I am writing a Vampire Diaries fanfic, I would pick up the Wickery Bridge for explanation. And if I ever write a Twilight fanfic (let's be honest, I tried...) then I would explain the Cullen's house in full detail.

I do that because it feels easier for me to establish my descriptions in such a way. And I don't just pick up the buildings or bridges for explaining, I do the same with natural landscapes and spaces in which my utmost favorite to describe are forests, meadows, waterfalls and cliffs.

Similarly, if someone is a psychologist, he/she would pay utmost attention to their characters and how they interact as well as elaborate on slight quirks or hints to their personality that reveal what kind of a person they really are. 

What I am trying to say here is that what you know always influences what you write.

In that light, advising people to write what they know is kind of basic because you are by default writing what you know. It is like a built in feature in your story churning mind.