Chapter 37

Spencer woke up on a Friday and got ready for school. She made sure to look extra nice as after school, her and Andrew were going to watch a movie. Toby knew and was a bit annoyed by it. He tried to make plans with her but got rejected to hang out with Andrew.

"Mom I won't be home till late. I'm going out with the girls all night" Spencer called out. She didn't want to tell her mom she was going out with Andrew or she'd have to be home by a certain time. The movie didn't start till 10pm.

-:-

"Hey gorgeous" Andrew greeted when he saw her enter the school. They both had AP French first lesson so they could walk together.

"I hope you're ready for the time of your life tonight. I thought that since the movie doesn't start till late, we could go bowling or something while we wait and have dinner" he suggested. Spencer smiled and nodded. Her smile went when she saw Toby roll his eyes at her when him and Jason walked past her.

"Is everything okay between you and Toby?" Andrew asked when he picked up on the tension.

"Yeah he just gets a bit too protective when i hang around with other boys. He'll get over it."

They stood outside their lesson and just talked about what they would do that night.

-:-

Spencer and Andrew exited the school. She passed Toby and Jason walking to the car and just smiled.

"Hey Spence..." before Toby could continue, spencer had already walked off with Andrew.

"So where should we go first" Andrew asked.

"I know" spencer giggled and ran off to her car, Andrew chased after her.

They sat in a nice silence as spencer drove to the unknown destination. She'd always go there whenever things got stressful. It was peaceful. She thought Andrew would like it. She felt relaxed as she pulled into lookout point. Her and Toby's favourite place to go together. Even when they weren't dating and barely friends, they'd both separately go up there and just end up chilling together. It soon became a weekly thing but they never talked about it at school or told anyone else. It was their special place. Where Toby first fell in love with spencer.

Flashback
Toby had a stressful day. He found out he failed his chemistry test and got a detention in two other lessons. He'd never tell anybody but he found school really hard. Everyone thought that since he was the cool, bad, popular boy type, everything was fine for him. Deep down Toby had been suffering with depression and anxiety. He's moms death and dads heavy drinking really didn't help, it just made everything ten times harder for him.

Toby finished school and straight away headed to his safe place to land. Usually the drive to lookout point wasn't very slow but that day, it seemed to take forever to get there to feel relaxed. He took a sigh of relief when he pulled onto the dusty road filled with trees and rocks.

Toby got off his motorcycle and walked over to the rocks. He sat back and closed his eyes which soothed his throbbing headache.

"Toby?" He heard a familiar voice say. Although they wasn't close friends, he'd always recognised the voice of his frienemy Spencer Hastings.

"Spencer. What are you doing here?" He asked feeling disappointed he was no longer alone.

"I come here when I just feel like being alone. What are you doing here. Shouldn't you be kicking a stupid ball around a field?" She scoffed, obviously annoyed that she too, was no longer here alone.

"I'm here the same reason as you. Shouldn't you be waving stupid pom-poms while trying to look good in front of the guys?" He fired back. She rolled her eyes and sat on the rock with him. "So what's your excuse for wanting to be alone?" He added.

She shrugged her shoulders and kicked her feet around. She didn't wanna get judged for her problems, nobody ever seemed to understand.

"Come on. You can tell me. I'm not gonna go brag about how little miss perfect isn't so perfect"

"I don't know. It's just sometimes I wish I could just leave. This town, my family, school. Everything is a joke," she sighed.

"I get you. Everything sucks" he agreed. She rested her head on his shoulder and they stayed like that for hours. They were finally at peace.

From that day on, nearly everyday of the week, they'd meet at that place and nobody ever found out. They would tell each other everything and be the closest. But at school, they acted like they didn't really know each other.

*flashback over*

Spencer then smiled at her thoughts of her and Toby coming up there. Her and Toby hadn't gone there in a while. She made a metal note to take him up there again soon.