Chapter 52

Tobys pov

Settling into living in England wasn't easy. London was beautiful but I missed my friends in rosewood. I didn't go out much. As hard as it was always feeling like I was drowning in my parents presence, I tried to keep my spirits high and practice on soccer.

School was difficult. I wasn't used to the way things were ran and the students there didn't seem to want to be my friend but there was this one girl who seemed to be really kind.

"Hey Toby. I was wondering if Agustin school you wanted to study with me at the library for her chemistry exam?" Mackenzie asked me. She was tall and brunette and really smart.

"Um yeah that would be great. We'll walk there after school" I replied. She flashed me a smile and walked away to her 5th period.

She was pretty much the only person I talked to. We met in chemistry when we had to partner up in a project. We had a lot in common. Both liked the same music, same school interests. Mackenzie helped me to forgot the struggles of moving and helped me fit in to world of college.

-:-

After school we walked to the library and stopped for fish and chips to eat on the way. We shared earphones while we listened to music. It was the happiest I'd felt in a long time.

Spencer's pov
I really missed Toby. School wasn't the same without him. Nor was cheerleading. I tried to use that to keep me focused. We began to lose contact. We could just never get the timing right. When I'd call he'd be asleep or at getting up for school and it was hard to keep the conversation going over text. He began to give up and so did I. It made my heart ache but I just had to suck it up that we wasn't together anymore.

However, my day has gone horrible. I got a C in algebra and my cheer routine just wouldn't stay in my head. A big soccer game was coming up but I had no motivation to prepare. I got my phone from the table and dialed that voice I need to hear. The boy I longed to see.

General POV

When Toby heard his phone buzz, his stomach dropped when he saw the caller ID. It was her. The girl he had missed so much.

"Mackenzie I need to take this. I'll be right back" He said and went outside. Toby answered the phone quickly.

"Erm hey" Toby said feeling anxious.

"Hey, Toby!" She sounded surprised to hear his voice. It had been a long time since he picked up.

-:-

Toby had taken a seat on a nearby bench as Spencer laid in bed bed ranting to him about school and cheerleading and told him all about how everyone was doing and how much they all missed him. Toby told Spencer about London and what it was like living in the south east of England. The began to lose track of time.

"Oh my god! No way!!! You should've seen Jason's face when—" she said laughing but paused when she heard him begin to speak.

"Uh yeah sorry I lost track of time. I should go but I'll see ya later" Toby said sounding muffled.

Mackenzie came outside and told Toby it was time that she left and she'd see him later. Spencer misunderstood and thought Toby was ending the call.

"Yeah I should go too" Spencer lost her smile and began to feel blue.

"No I didn't mean—" Toby started.

"It's getting late but call me sometime"

"Oh yeah. Of course it's late. I forgot, time zones" Toby never felt more far away. "Good night Spence"

"Bye tobes"

The call ended and Toby began to slowly walk home. Homesick was an understatement. Meanwhile Spencer tried to fall asleep and dream of simpler times with Toby.

How's quarantine treating you all. Hope you are all well and safe 💖