Chapter 48

Toby stormed into his bedroom not really sure of what emotion to feel. Tears began to flood his eyes and he began to sob. He sobbed into his pillow and curled up on his bed. He completely forgot about his plans to go back and meet spencer and the others at the pizza place.

-:-

"Where's Toby" Hanna asked as she ate a slice of pizza.

"Yeah I thought you said he'd be here soon" Alison said.

Spencer had tried calling him but he hadn't been answering. She decided to leave him a message.

Hey tobes. Are you still coming. If you dont want to it's fine but please just let me know. The pizzas are getting cold and I can only save you so many slices xxx

Meanwhile Toby was just staring at the text message. He didn't want to let her down but he also didn't want to show up looking like a total wreck and he wasn't ready to tell spencer what was going on. He got an incoming call from spencer, he knew he couldn't ignore her so he cleared his voice and wiped his eyes then accepted the call.

"Hey Toby. You had me worried" spencer said.

"Sorry, I just couldn't find my wallet and the traffic was bad. I'm on my way now. Love you" he said before ending the call so that she wouldn't hear his cracklings voice.

He slowly drove to the restaurant, debating to just go home and be sad by himself. He had finally got his own apartment and finding out he had to leave everything there behind made him feel so dismal and morose. He hated the thought of leaving everything behind.

Toby pulled over and called Spencer back.

"Look Spence. I'm really sorry but I'm not feeling very well. My head hurts like crazy. I'm gonna go home and get to bed but I'll come see you tomorrow"

"Oh ok. I hope you feel better soon. I'll come over after the dinner to come and check on you" Spencer told him before he hung up.

"Huh. That was weird" Spencer said to herself before carrying on eating.

-:-

"Toby? Are you awake?" Spencer called out when she let herself into his apartment.

Spencer looked around the apartment to see everything messed up and destroyed. What had happened?

She made her way into his room and he was laying in his room, staring at the ceiling.

"Hey. How you feeling?" Spencer asked, feeling his forehead for any sign of a temperature.

"I have something to tell you. It's not going to be easy but I can't leave you in the dark about this." Toby started. He took her hands and moved over and gestured for him to come and sit next to her. "As you know, my dad has a problem with alcohol. Recently it's gotten so bad that it began to make him ill. Now it's got so bad that he's been told that in order to be able to survive for much longer, he needs a liver transplant and fast. My grandma found out and has been looking for a hospital and a donor. My Nan found one and the waiting list isn't as long but the downside is that it's in London." Toby told her

"Toby. I'm so sorry. I know you'll miss him being here and him being in the UK but you can always call him and visit from time to time. It'll work out" she reassured him.

"That's not all Spence. I have to go with them. My dad won't go unless he knows I'll be with him. We'll be out there for god knows how long. He needs treatment and check ups and tests. It'll be at least a year."

"Oh" Spencer said and just looked down at her hands not sure what else to say.

What did this mean for her and Toby?