Prologue- A Memory

Leafy ran down the hill with her best friend, Firey. The sky was cloudless and the two friends were breathless with laughter. The plopped down on the grass and stared into the sky. 

"What do you think is up there?" Firey asked.         

"I don't know... air?" Leafy guessed. 

Firey laughed. "Air? Of course there's air, I mean, do... you think anyone lives there?"

Leafy looked up at the sky. It was so blue. She couldn't think of what was up there. "I don't know. I'm sorry." she apologized.

Firey sat up next to her. He gently held one of her hands. "Leafy, there's nothing to apologize for. I don't know what's up there either. Maybe one day we'll find out." 

Leafy looked into her friend's amber eyes and knew that one day, ONE DAY, they would find out what was up there. 

"Firey! Leafy! Time for dinner!" Leafy's mom called from the kitchen. 

"Coming!" Firey stood up. "Leafy, are you coming?"

"Yeah, go on without me. I'll come in a little later."

"Okay! See you soon!" Leafy watched Firey's flaming yellow and orange hair  get tousled by the wind as he retreated down the hill towards Leafy's house. She watched him until he was into the house and out of sight. Then she turned back to the sky.

Just you wait. Leafy thought, I'll be back.