Chapter Fifty- Change

Leafy got out of bed, refreshed. She got another night of comfortable sleep and was feeling ready for the day. She glanced over at Pin, who was still snoring loudly. Sliding out of bed, Leafy got dressed and brushed her teeth. It was currently 7:38. 

"Might as well go down for an early breakfast," she muttered to herself. The door clicked as she closed it behind her and headed for the elevator. Punching, though not literally, the button to the lobby as she had many times since she arrived here, Leafy realized that she hadn't called her parents in days.

Maybe they thought I was busy and didn't want to bother me. she thought, I'll call them later.

After buying a simple breakfast, she headed over to the gardens. When she got to their picnic table, she saw Firey asleep with his left cheek pressed against the table. Good thing he didn't drool or else the table would have had a smoking hole through it.

But what was he doing, sleeping out here?

Leafy noticed he had his phone clutched in his hand. She sat down next to him and shook him gently.

Firey sat up with a jolt. "WA- oh, hey, Leafy." He looked a little off. His hair seemed to be glowing more dimly and his face looked a bit pale and weary.

"Firey, you okay?" Leafy asked nervously.

"I- I'm fine." Firey said, rubbing his eyes. 

"You don't look fine, do you need some rest-"

"Nah, it's okay." he waved her off, "I'm alright, see?"  He smiled but it looked a bit forced.

"Firey." Leafy grabbed his wrist, "What happened? Why are you so tired looking?"

...

"Uh..." Firey fumbled over the perfect lie to cover up the fact that he was using all his energy to block this creature from taking over Leafy, and that it was trying to kill her. Then he realized that he didn't need to lie at all. A truth that would cover up the even harsher reality. "Flame and Forest were murdered."

Leafy gave a gasp of horror, her face pale. "What happened?"

"They were killed during the annual meeting. The elders were going to crown them the heads of our clans. The elders were also killed."

Leafy looked down. A tear also slipped down her cheek. Forest was a good grandfather to her. That time Firey saw him, he had also treated Firey with respect and kindness. And now he was gone?

Leafy smothered Firey in a hug, crying freely. Firey patted her back gently.

"They're thinking of crowning us as the leaders of the clan." he whispered softly.

"Wait, r-really?" Leafy asked through her sniffles.

"Yeah." Firey stroked her hair, "Don't worry, everything'll be fine."

I'll take care of Evil Leafy without you ever knowing about her.

...

"Announcements!" Four shouted. he entire school was packed into the lobby, listening. Fortunately, the school was only made of eighty students. "From now on, the points won't matter!" He slid a hand across the projection of their scores, and the board was wiped clean.

The students murmured among themselves. No more points? Why?