Chapter Forty-Five- Derp Time!

Leafy met up with Firey in the garden. She bought them both pancakes and orange juice. 

"Hey, Firey!" she called out, plates wobbling. 

"Hey, Leafy." Firey smiled at her, but he looked tired. And was it her imagination, or did he look troubled, too?

"Look at my reflection." Firey said. 

Leafy leaned in. He looked completely normal.

"Uh, you look the same." Leafy said.

Firey looked confused. He glanced back at his reflection. "It looks different to me."

"Uh, I don't know. Maybe you're just tired?" she said.

"Yeah, maybe." he said.

"Hey, guys, how was your sleep?" Pin called out, running towards them.

"Well, I had nightmares, but around 6:30, they stopped." Leafy said, "And I had a good sleep after that."

Firey gave her a troubled look again, not unlike the one he greeted her with.

"Uh, Firey, are you okay?" she asked.

He blinked. "U-uh, y-yeah, I'm fine." he stammered.

" 'scuse me, Firey, but I need a convo with our girl here." Pin said, snagging Leafy by the arm and dragging her into the bushes.

"Uh, what was that, Pin?" Leafy asked.

"Did you read the books I got you?" she responded without answering Leafy's question.

"Well, uh, yea-"

"So when are you guys gonna have your first date?" Pin asked, "Or your second kiss?"

"Pin!" Leafy shouted.

Firey glanced over at them. Pin gestured him to wait and he turned back, puzzled.

"Maybe after the academy is over. After all, we're still in schoo-"

Pin screamed. 

"JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE IN SCHOOL DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR FIRST DATE!" she yelled.

"Wait, what?" Firey asked.

Pin waved her hand dismissively and he sighed and turned around once more.

"Just remember, plan it well! And soon!" Pin said. She led Leafy back to the table.

"Come, sit." Pin said importantly. She seemed proud of her wordplay and Leafy let her enjoy it.

...

"Okay, people." Announcer said. "Ready for today's contest?"

"Yeah!" Everyone cheered. Well, mostly everyone. Woody screamed, Teardrop stayed silent, Match and Pencil rolled their eyes in disgust.

"Today's contest... is a derby race!"

"WHAT?!" Flower screeched.