Chapter Ten- Misunderstanding: Three Sides Of A Story

Pin's POV

Pin felt triumphant. She saw the way Firey was looking at Leafy. YESSSS... Pin thought. She was going to play matchmaker and get those two together!

"Firey!" Leafy was saying, "I really love the way those flowers are arranged to look like numbers! Also..."

"Ah, ha ha, that's really cool!" Firey stammered.

Pin caught his eye and winked. He looked embarrassed. 

Leafy, of course, didn't notice

Leafy, of course, didn't notice. She just kept rambling on and on about the gardens, oblivious as usual.

"And, of course, those birds look really cute. Oh! Look at that one! Aww!" Leafy continued, pointing at a hummingbird who was drinking some nectar.

"Yeah!" Firey agreed while shooting Pin a glare because she was making kissy faces behind Leafy's back.

Pin gave him a perplexed look and he sighed in frustration.

"Hey, why are you two making weird faces at each other?" Leafy asked, confused.

"Uh, nothing." Firey assured her.

"Um, okay?" Leafy looked unsure. "Should we head back?"

"You can go ahead." Firey told her, "I want to talk to Pin. Privately?"

Wow, that gave a wrong message... Pin thought as Leafy looked heartbroken.

"Okay," Leafy said, "Then I'll meet you in an hour? Or whenever you have time?"

"Sure, an hour's good." Pin agreed. 

Leafy left, Firey watching her with a torn expression. When she disappeared out of earshot, Firey turned to glare at Pin.

"Seriously, Pin, why did you have to make everything so awkward?!"

"What?" Pin said, shrugging, "Just trying to give you a push in the right direction. I know you two are meant to be with each other."

"It's not helping!" Firey said.

"Why not? Your girl is clueless and you-"

"I don't need your help! You think you're helping, but your just hurting me! And my relationship with Leafy! Did you she her expression when she left? It's not funny!" Firey yelled. "You're just making everything WORSE!" 

Pin recoiled at his words. She gasped as he set himself on fire and he stalked closer to her. It occurred to Pin that she might have pushed his limits too far.

Firey's POV

Damn, she noticed. Firey thought as Leafy chatted about the garden. He tried to ignore the fact that Pin was making kissy faces at them, but Leafy didn't notice at all. Finally, he was pushed to the edge of his limits. He turned and glared at Pin angrily, but of course she just gave him a blank stare.

"Hey, why are you two making weird faces at each other?" Leafy asked them. Oof, she noticed.

"Uh, nothing." Firey said, trying to pretend that they had not been doing anything.

"Um, okay?" Leafy said uneasily, "Should we head back?"

"You can go ahead." Firey told her, "I want to talk to Pin. Privately?"

Firey was not prepared for the heartbreaking look that appeared on Leafy's face. He realized with a jolt that she might have interpreted it differently that he liked Pin. Pin gave him a look that said "sorry" as Leafy left them to talk.

"Seriously, Pin?!" Firey said angrily, having to mentally remind himself do not burst into angry flames, "Why did you have to make it so awkward?!"

Pin didn't even look sorry as she told him that it was just that she thought he and Leafy would make a good couple.

"It's not helping!" Firey gritted his teeth as she gave him an annoying "what are you talking about" look.

"Why not? Your girl is clueless and you-"

 Firey finally lost his temper. "I don't need your help! You think you're helping, but your just hurting me! And my relationship with Leafy! Did you she her expression when she left? It's not funny! You're just making everything WORSE!" With that last word, he felt his control break. Fire surrounded him and he glared at Pin.

She looked frightened. Firey felt a pang of sympathy and extinguished his flames. He ran one hand down his face. "Sorry for getting out of control." he apologized, "But can you please stop teasing me?"

"Sorry," Pin whispered quietly, "I was trying to help- I didn't know that it was hurting you. I promise I won't do it again."

"Thanks." Firey told her, "Friends again?"

She smiled. "Of course."

Leafy's POV

Leafy chatted on and on about how cool the garden was. She wanted Firey to see that she liked the garden, too.

"Firey!" she said, "I really love the way those flowers are arranged to look like numbers! Also, look at the fountain! It's in the shape of an interlocking '4' and 'X'!"

"That's really cool!" Firey agreed. Was it just her, or did he sound nervous somehow?

Leafy pretend not to notice Pin winking at Firey, and tried even harder to pretend to be oblivious as she rambled on and on about the gardens. She noticed Firey glaring at Pin and Pin blinking her eyes innocently.

"Hey, my are you two making weird faces at each other?" Leafy asked.

"Uh, nothing." Firey said, looking embarrassed.

"Uh, okay?" Leafy said, "Should we head back?"

"You can go ahead." Firey told her, "I want to talk to Pin. Privately?"

Ouch. Leafy felt heartbroken. She had thought that Pin was teasing Firey about "liking" her, but was he actually in love with Pin? She walked back towards her hotel room, and when she finally reached her room, she fell onto the bed and cried. Did Firey really like Pin? Why was she so sad if Firey liked another girl?! He's her best friend! 

Leafy looked outside the window. She saw Firey and Pin standing under a wooden arch covered with flowers. He was extending his hand and Pin took it. Then they hugged. Leafy felt sick. She wobbled back to her bed and buried herself in the sheets, crying.