Chapter Two- Shadow

"Firey! Get up!"

Firey shoved his head under the blankets to block out the noise. "I don't wanna!"

"Come on, Firey!" Firey's mom scolded, "Today is the day that you go to boarding school! With Leafy!"

Oops. Firey bolted out of bed, sending his blanket flying across the room. "I forgot!" He scrambled around, changing out of his pajamas. 

"Once you're done, come downstairs for breakfast! Please hurry, though, we have to be ready in half an hour!" his mom called as she walked down the stairs. After grabbing his already-packed luggage, he heaved the bags down the stairs.

Firey's mom was in the kitchen, cooking scrambled eggs with her hands. Firey's family had fire powers since their ancestors were elementalists. It was a rare ability and Firey didn't know anyone else that had it. Within seconds, the bacon was cooked, the scrambled eggs done, and milk was evaporated. Okay, sometimes Firey's mom made mistakes and forgot to not heat the milk to 100 degrees celsius. 

"Sorry!" his mom brushed a strand of her flaming red hair off one of the scrambled eggs. She sighed when she realized that the egg was overcooked. "Oh, well. I'll eat that one." She set the plates on the table. "Eat up, Firey."

Firey sat down and ate up his food quickly. He was looking forward to going to the school. Which new friends would he make? He couldn't wait. As he finished up his food and hopped into the car, he wondered how Leafy was doing. Was she going to like this school? He felt a sinking dread. There was something nagging in the back of his mind that he tried to ignore. It didn't go away. Firey didn't know why, but for some reason, his instinct was telling him that something bad was lurking at this school. Something that would break his friendship with Leafy. 

I'm just worrying too much! Firey thought as he stared out the window. Nothing is going to happen. This is just my nerves. But as he stared out the window, he saw a shadow watching him from the corner of his eye. It looked like Leafy. The girl looked just like his friend, with her choppy hair and feisty smile, but the girl's colors were blood red instead of Leafy's welcoming green. 

"Firey." she said, "Watch yourself." 

Firey clenched his fists and set them ablaze. "Who are you?"

"Firey?" his mom asked, turning around, "What's wrong?"

"Well, there's-" but when Firey turned to look at the girl, she was gone.