Chapter Sixty-Two Final Contest Day Three (Part One)

Leafy sat down at the picnic table. Surprisingly, Firey wasn't there. Recently, he'd already be there, usually asleep with his phone next to him. Leafy wondered who he was calling.

"Leafy!" Firey ran over to her. He looked tired, something that has gone on for a quite a while. His hair looked dimmer and more like regular hair.

"Huh?" Leafy asked as he sat down next to her.

"I asked my mom to try to contact your parents. Hopefully they can get in contact." Firey pulled out a large sandwich and gave half of it to Leafy. "Today's the meteors, huh? I bet Meteor will have an advantage." 

Leafy nodded. That was true. She wondered of Four did that on purpose or not. Then she remembered how Firey had described him. Cold, ruthless, and brutally effective at fighting. She shuddered at the thought.

Firey ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "As fun as this contest is, I'm still a bit worried about killing."

"You killed David, though." Leafy recalled.

"And you killed Spongy and Saw."

Leafy saw Firey looking at her very carefully, as if he was waiting for her response.

"Um... I don't remember killing Saw," she said cautiously, "And I killed Spongy because I thought killing would be inevitable in this game."

Firey looked surprised and, was she imaging it, a little angry. "You... don't remember?"

"Not a clue." Leafy answered. "It's like I have a gap in my brain."

"Huh." Firey muttered, "Interesting."

What was so interesting about that, Leafy didn't know.

...

The contestants teleported back to the arena after breakfast. Leafy appeared sitting in the tent, just like yesterday. The water suddenly receded and Leafy could hear Projector, a boy with black hair and glowing highlights, calling out that the meteor shower would start in a few minutes.

"Let's just stay in here." Leafy told Firey, Pin, Blue Whirl, and Teardrop. Even though they weren't standing with each other, they had teleported to the places they were yesterday.

Teardrop nodded. 

"I'm worried about Meteor." Firey told them. He explained to Teardrop about who he was, and Teardrop looked grave as well.

Leafy wrapped the blanket around herself. She didn't like the sound of Meteor one bit. 

"Aw, the stuffed turtle's back!" Pin said happily, hugging it. "Do you think I'll be able to keep it after the contest?"

"We can ask Four later," Leafy told her, smiling at how much she liked the stuffed animal.

Pin nodded and patted the turtle.

"What are you going to name it?" Blue Whirl asked.

"I'm going to call him Turt!" Pin said.

"Turd?" Firey asked.

Pin slapped his arm. "No, dummy! Turt!" She rolled her eyes as Firey laughed.

Leafy laughed along. She almost forgot that soon they'd be in danger until she heard Projector give out the countdown. 

Then the first meteor hit the tent.