Chapter Fifty-Three- Preparation

Leafy studied the map and lists Four gave her. After passing them out, he had ushered them back into their dorms, telling them to think of a strategy and to have a good night's sleep. He also explained that food would arrive at seven, and they were to eat in their dorms.

Pin lay down on her red blanket, reading with her list an arm's length away above her.

Leafy's eyes glided across the paper. According to the document, there were going to be random challenges such as a tsunami on the second day and a meteor shower on the third. Leafy scanned the list of items that could be found inside the chests. The all-weather protection tent would probably be useful. It wouldn't be bad to get the pack of ten sandwiches, either. But those were rare items. 

Leafy tried to not get her hopes up. With her luck, she'd probably get a drop of water in a syringe, a single pringle, and a napkin as protection.

The arena's grounds would be like a rainforest. There'd be lots of different plants and ruins with chests. That caught Leafy's interest. She wasn't an herb specialist like her mom, but she did know some simple recipes. Too bad she couldn't smuggle in any items.

She decided to work on a plan. First day- See what's inside the chest. Then either use the acid-proof boat (all islands come with one) to try to raid the people on the islands next to me, or boat to the central island and get some weapons. Top priority is to get a shelter for the natural disasters that Four promised to put. Find Firey and Pin to team up with them. Day two- survive and take out as many people as possible.

Leafy winced. She was actually planning to kill people? She shook those thoughts away. Four could revive them. It's just a game.

Gather herbs and make medicine. Find potions in the chests. Stay close to allies. Make as many as possible, but only trustworthy ones. Better to be cautious and not get stabbed in the back.

Leafy sighed and lay down.

"How's your plans?" asked Pin.

"Well, teaming with you and Firey. Hopefully others, too." Leafy told her.

"Same." Pin said. "I was thinking about providing you some of my hair in case you can't get a knife." She fingered her hair with its razor sharp blades.

"Is it bad that I'm actually considering killing people? Like I have murderous intent?" Leafy asked, "I mean, it is a game, but I still think killing is wrong."

Pin nodded at her. "Yes, girl. Killing is bad, but this is a game. They can revive here. Just don't let this affect your life, 'kay?"

"Sure." Leafy said. They went back to studying their lists of supplies.

...

They each got pizza for lunch. Leafy got a vegetarian combo pizza and Pin got a bloody cow pizza. Okay, nevermind. Pin got a cheese pizza with small strips of beef.

They ate in silence. Then Leafy realized she should call her parents.

"Hey, Pin, have you called your parents lately?" she asked.

"Yeah, I call them every day." Pin said.

Leafy felt really bad. "Ugh, is it bad that I only called them once so far? And that was on the first day?"

Pin winced. "Yeah... you should probably call them."

Leafy pulled out her phone and dialed her parent's number. After five minutes, still no response.

"Maybe... they're busy?" Leafy guessed.

"Yeah, they should be fine." Pin said, "Maybe they have a late shift?"

"Probably." Leafy said. But it still worried her that her parents hadn't tried to call her yet either.

...

In the cavern, Evil Leafy sat near the crystals, muttering angrily to herself. Leafy's crystal was still protected with Firey's life force. At least if Firey failed, his life would be at risk. Evil Leafy relished this thought. She had even liked him earlier, when he wasn't in her way. But if he chose to stand up to her plans, there was only one path to go.

She turned to look at the two limp bodies tied up by red mist in the corner. "Would these be enough to bribe him away?" she murmured to herself. Maybe not. After all, they were Leafy's parents, not his. 

"Useless." she muttered, kicking Leafy's mom. She barely flinched, her body already covered with so many wounds. Leafy's dad was just as unresponsive.

"Yes... time to capture the Fire Stone's mother."