Chapter Forty- Eight- Surprise

Leafy glanced at Firey hopefully. She wanted to ask him out, but she was too nervous. It made it even harder to ask him for a first date with Pin breathing on her shoulder. They won the contest today, she was happy about that. But Firey looked tired. Something was wrong.

"C'mon, Leafy!" Pin said, "Just ASK him already! You can do it!" she cheered.

"U-uh." Leafy stammered, "M-maybe a few more days? Weeks?"

"Okay, then!" Pin said.

"Something tells me that you want me to go on my first date more than me." Leafy grinned.

"Well, romance!" Pin said, wiggling her arms over her head.

"Hey, what are you guys talking about?" Firey asked.

"Hoo-boy, busted!!!!!!!" Pin said.

"What the- Pin, you were the one who kept talking about it! It should be you and your romance obsessions that is busted, not me!"

"Why don't you get a boyfriend, then, Pin?" Firey suggested.

"Huh? Who would even want me as a girlfriend?" she asked, actually confused.

"Uh, there's a certain someone who keeps sneaking glances at you..." Firey snickered.

Leafy knew who he was talking about. "Coiny? Seriously?"

Pin shrugged. "Dunno about that. He seems rude."

"Well, he is!" Leafy answered.

"Ah, the joys of love." Pin said dreamily, "Standing up for your boyfriend!"

"You weirdo!" Leafy laughed, chasing Pin around.

Firey smiled at them, but he still looked a little off. He was leaning on the tables and yawning.

"Firey, are you okay?" Leafy asked.

"I'm fine." he muttered, "Just sleepy. Didn't sleep at all last night."

"You should get some sleep now, then." Leafy said with a look of concern.

"Yeah, probably." he yawned and walked off towards the lobby.

...

Firey jumped into bed. Truthfully, he was tired because of lack of sleep, but also because it was hard keeping Evil leafy in check.

He fell asleep before he even hit the pillow.

His dreams weren't comforting, though. Evil Leafy was laughing as Leafy attacked Firey. He didn't want to hurt her, but Leafy stabbed a dagger into his leg-

Firey woke up screaming.

"Dude, chill." Coiny grumbled from his bed, where he was reading a book.

"Sorry." Firey said. He realized that it was already 9:00 PM. That meant he slept for six hours, approximately.

Firey headed out into the garden. Time for a check in with his mom before he went back to bed.

He pulled out his phone and dialed her number.

Firey? his mom asked.

"Yeah. I need to talk to grandma as soon as possible." Firey said. "I'm holding Evil Leafy's advances in check, but I don't know how long I can last."

Firey, you can't.

"What? But this is Leafy's life we're talking about-"

No, you're getting it wrong. Firey's mom's voice trembled, You can't talk to her because she's no longer alive. Today, she was murdered.