𝐎𝐍𝐄.

𝙷𝚊𝚛𝚕𝚎𝚖, 𝙽𝚎𝚠 𝚈𝚘𝚛𝚔𝟷𝟶:𝟻𝟽 𝙿𝙼

𝙷𝚊𝚛𝚕𝚎𝚖, 𝙽𝚎𝚠 𝚈𝚘𝚛𝚔
𝟷𝟶:𝟻𝟽 𝙿𝙼

"Girl, I've never had experience with a married man, let alone a man that is looking to settle down with one woman." Tasha, one of the hair dressers said as she braided a late customer's hair.

"Girl please, you ain't tha' only one." Michelle spoke.

I was sweeping the hair that was sprawled all over the tile floor and figuring to myself that I was about to be the main topic of their conversation as always.

"Who else in hea' ain't fucked with a man?" Kara asked.

"Miko. She ain't never gonna find a man. She's gonna be playing with herself her whole life." Michelle said and I chuckled lowly.

It was four of us in here, not counting the owner Mrs. Monae, but I've always been the talk about when it came down to men but I never knew why since I never paid attention to a man, let alone talked to one.

They brought me up in situations I couldn't relate too, but that was one of the main reasons on why I didn't say anything. I knew if I was to talk back, it would just be a fight and lord knows Mrs. Monae doesn't play that. Especially in her place of business.

I was the bigger person and I chose to ignore, but out of the three, it was Michelle who sometimes got under my skin but I will not let her words bury me like they do others.

"Miko, how come you don't have a man?" Michelle teased, looking up from her magazine and giving me a smirk. I stopped from sweeping, giving her my full attention.

"What's the point of having a man Michelle? All they do is break your heart." I said and Kara began to clap her hands in a fast paced manner, I'm guessing agreeing with me.

"See, that's what I'm talking about." Kara said and Tasha sucked her teeth, slight attitude in her look.

"And how would you know if you've never had one?" Tasha questioned and it took me into deep thought because she was right, but that didn't prove anything because I've seen it all with my parents. I've seen the stress a man can bring on a woman.

"Because I know." I said and the three all made eye contact before they broke out into a fit of childish, nonstop laughter that slightly made me roll my eyes.

"Chile, how old are you?" Michelle asked and I sighed, ignoring her question and I continued to sweep. She was just trying to make a fool out of me. I was still young, so me not having a man didn't phase me.

I know I said men just break your heart, but I do sometimes wonder what having a man feels like, but that's until I remember what all I've watched my father take my mother through. It wasn't a good look and that's what caused her to kill herself.
-

I checked the time on my watch that read 11:56 P.M. as I jogged up the metal steps of my grandma's porch. I'd been living with my grandma since my mom died and that was 6 years ago. Living with my grandma was great because I didn't have to hear on-going arguing, it was peace and quiet.

"Grandma! I'm home!" I said, closing and locking the door behind me. Me and my grandma resided in the hood. It was all she could afford and for my whole life, it's been my childhood home.

I sat down my bag at the door and walked further in to see it empty. I figured she went to sleep but usually she would wait up for me. I walked down the hall to her room, cracking open her door and looking in to see her sleeping peacefully. I closed the door back and went inside my room to grab my clothes so I could take a long shower till the water turns cold.

It was something I often did after a long day at the salon but I know I had to hurry since I had work tomorrow and my manager Julian loves to be on my butt about anything he can get his hands on.
-

It was the next day, sun beaming through my nude curtains and let's just say, it was Friday. One of the best days of the week that I loved. At this very moment, I was getting dressed for work.

I had two jobs, something that would put money in my pockets and to help with things around the house. I didn't want my grandma doing all the work so I was just trying my best to help her out.

Throwing my flat ironed hair into a ponytail, I laid my edges and was ready to go. I grabbed my bag, phone and phone charger. I walked out and the smell of bacon made my nose flare.

I smoothly slipped onto the bar chair, slightly scaring my grandma. Her hand covered her chest as it heaved. She stared at me crazily causing me to laugh.

"Do you gotta be so extra?" I asked and she shook her head with a low chuckle. "No girl. But you scared me." She said and I smiled as she slid my plate of breakfast over. I checked the time as it read 8:01 A.M.

I had 30 minutes to chat then I would have to leave. "I'm sorry I fell asleep on you baby. Your uncle had me tired." She said as I stuck a fork of eggs in my mouth.

Hearing the word "uncle" made my stomach uneasy. My uncle wasn't one of those goofy, wonderful people like other uncles but I guess only I new that.

"You okay baby?" My grandma asked, knocking me out of my reminisce that was about to soon go left.

"Hm?"

"I said are you okay." She repeated and I nodded swiftly, checking the time once more.

"How was work at the salon?" She asks and I rolled
my eyes.

"The normal same boy talk as always." I replied dryly with a shoulder shrug.

"Them girls are known for that. What's wrong with this generation now?" She asked more to herself.

"I don't know grandma, but I have to go." I said, taking my plate and sitting it in the microwave. I kissed her cheek and slipped out the door before she could hold me any longer because she indeed would.

<>

Comment

Vote

Follow