Thirty-Five - Tobi

I'm pissed. And confused.

*

"Come on, Chichi!" Tobi called out to his little sister as he and Hanna rushed past her on the wooden porch at the back of their home.

"I'm coming! Moooom, can you hurry up please?!" Little Chinami-Ren pleaded to her mother as she impatiently tugged at her summer dress. "Tobi and Hanna run more faster than me!"

"It's a small garden, Chinami-Ren. They can't get very far." Their mother said to her sweetly as she continued to braid her long and messy blonde curls. "Just wait a little longer, okay? Remember last time you came in with half a bird's nest in your locks."

Chinami-Ren pouted. "Hanna said they were flowers."

"Okay, all done!" Their mother tied a little bow at the end of Chinami-Ren's braid and placed a gentle kiss on top of her head. Chinami-Ren immediately bolted across the porch and leapt down into the garden after her older brother and sister. "And tell those two to be careful around the pond!"

"I will!" She called back before she disappeared into the lush garden with Tobi and Hanna.

Their mother, Chinami, giggled to herself as the back door creaked open. "Imagine that, telling our youngest to discipline her older siblings." She said to her husband.

"Chinami-Ren has always been the responsible one. Even if she is five." Sana said with a sigh.

"At least we know she'll always keep Tobi in check at least." Chinami leant against one of the old wooden pillars that held up the vine covered beams running over the porch.

"Ah yes. Our little troublemaker." Sana wrapped his arm over his wife's shoulders and kissed her cheek softly.

"Come on, Chichi!" Hanna took her little sister's hand and pulled her into the little shrouded corner of the garden they'd declared to be their little sibling gang's den. They thought the shrubs in the corner had naturally grown into a rounded cave shape but it was secretly their father's doing. He knew his children enjoyed playing in the garden and so even when Kai and Erika were their only children, he would make little spaces in the garden for the children to play.

"What's the rush?" Chinami-Ren asked as she clambered into their hideout, brushing some fallen leaves out of the way before flopping onto the ground.

"Show her, Tobi!" Hanna prodded him.

"Remember when Dad said that it feels stick outside sometimes when it's hot because there's water in the air?" Tobi asked.

"Um... I think so..." Chinami-Ren mumbled. "That doesn't make sense because you can't see it but okay." She shrugged.

"You can't always see water, Chichi." Hanna rolled her eyes. "You'll understand when you're bigger, like me."

"It doesn't matter! Just, check it out." Tobi held his hand in front of his two sisters. He furrowed his brow deeply and poked his tongue out between his lips a little as he tried to concentrate. As if by magic, a small trickle of water appeared in his palm. He furrowed his brow deeper and poked his tongue out a little further the harder he concentrated. The trickle of water grew, and the harder Chinami-Ren looked, she could see the water drawing from the air above his palm.