Forty-Six - Session One

Are you ready for this? We've been through every school year together, this is the last one.

Don't get sentimental on me.

*

"Your parents have been recommending you see me for years, Katsuki, why come now?"

"They think I'm depressed."

"Do you think you're depressed?"

"I'm not sad."

"There's a lot more to depression than sadness. Did something happen that may have set off how you have been feeling?"

"Don't act like you don't know. Like you haven't seen the news."

"The media likes to paint a picture that'll get the most views, the most clicks, the most reads. That doesn't mean they tell the whole story. Only you can tell me your story."

Bakugo sighed and leant back into the tan leather couch he was seated in. Dr Kazuko spoke so calmly and matter-of-factly he couldn't tell if it annoyed him or if he respected it. She pushed her glasses up her nose as she watched him intently for any shifts or ticks that would give him away. He folded his arms over his chest, narrowing his eyes at her for trying to figure him out.

His parents had indeed been recommending, or rather not so subtly suggesting, he see Kazuko since middle school to deal with his "anger issues". He came close to caving when All Might retired but he'd move past it to an extent by the time the hullabaloo of moving into the dorms had settled.

After his body finally crumbled at Granny B's and allowed him to howl out the pain that was gripping at his chest for weeks, his father sat him down and calmly talked through their options. There was the suggestion of pulling him out of UA and letting him finish his final year of schooling elsewhere, to which Bakugo flat refused and wouldn't hear anymore of that idea.

It was suggested he cut back in his work study to focus entirely on his schooling, but he refused that too. His last suggestion was for Bakugo to accept professional help, and that if he were to continue trying to repair himself in a high pressure environment, he had to check in with his parents regularly too. He agreed to that one and as soon as the pair had returned home, Mitsuki was immediately on the phone trying to squeeze a session in before he went back to school.

Dr Kazuko didn't hesitate to find a slot for Bakugo and he assumed she must've been following the news like every other person in the country. Mitsuki reassured him it was because of their interest for years and that she and Kazuko "went way back".

"I don't believe this works, by the way." Bakugo mumbled.

"You don't believe what doesn't work?" She asked calmly. Everything she said she said calmly, and in times he felt like raising his voice her tone brought him back to earth.

"Therapy."

The doctor shrugged. She pulled a notepad from the coffee table that sat between them and a pen from inside her jacket pocket.

"Do you exercise?" She asked as she clicked the pen and begun to scribble something down.

"Of course I do."

"Why?"

Bakugo rolled his eyes at the imminent approaching lesson before he sighed.

"I workout to be strong and healthy."

"If you only exercised once a year, would that do anything to make you stronger?"

"Of course not." He muttered as soon as she'd finished the question.